Trouble Starting Engine - Yamaha FZ-09 Forum
 4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
post #1 of 19 Old 01-21-2014, 05:16 PM Thread Starter

Trouble Starting Engine

Hello,

This is something that happens at least 1-3 times a week. Keep in mind I use my FZ-09 everyday, it is my only transportation.

Scenario - In the morning when I start my bike for work, it will fire right up. (I'm in southern California so at 6am it is about 50 degrees.)

I park my bike in a lot uncovered.

I take my lunch at 12noon,

By this time it is 70-80 degrees outside. I put my key in the ignition, turn to the on position, wait about 5 seconds, then push the start button down. The bike responds with not turning over. I then have to turn the bike off then back on about 2-5 times or so, even having to twist the throttle a little, then the bike will suddenly fire right up.

I'm mentioning the temperatures because I noticed when it is cold outside my bike has no issue starting up, BUT when it is hot outside I get this problem.

It reminds me of when I had a carbureted bike and my carburetors needed to be re synced. I know that my FZ-09 is fuel injected. It makes me un easy to have a 2014 Yamaha that wont start on the first try? Has anyone else had these types of issues?

Thanks,

George L.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 Old 02-19-2014, 01:31 AM

I say you log your starts for a few days and when you have a bad ignition cycle.or two bring it back to the dealer. This sounds like an isolated incident. Even if it isn't it should be acovered by warranty. I'll be watching this thread to see if this is the start of a larger problem. Good luck!

Kevin

"Follow us on
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
, and
!"

EMAIL:

Twisted Throttle
570 Nooseneck Hill Rd. (RT 3)
Exeter, RI 02822 USA
GPS: 41.564325,-71.659223
Phone: +1 (401) 566-5107(Direct) +1 (401) 284-4200(Main) Fax: +1 (401) 223-6954

post #3 of 19 Old 02-25-2014, 03:59 AM

This has happened to me, but not often. Also, I don't ride my bike everyday. When I do ride to work, I make sure it sits in the shade all day and I rarely have this happen. However this did happen to me and 5 others at the same time after a rest from riding up Angeles crest. Not sure what causes it, but initial theory is temperature change. Like Kevin said, keep a log just in case.

post #4 of 19 Old 02-25-2014, 08:25 PM Thread Starter

Thank-you both, I really appreciate it! I will start a log and post any updates on the forum. @tunnelvision748 & @twistedthrottle
yfz and tunnelvision748 like this.
post #5 of 19 Old 02-26-2014, 11:44 AM
yfz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gtlwon View Post
Thank-you both, I really appreciate it! I will start a log and post any updates on the forum. @tunnelvision748 & @twistedthrottle
Please do it will be greatly appreciated, any more info helps!
post #6 of 19 Old 03-03-2014, 05:04 PM

Some of the FJR members in Cali had the same problem with starting. Bike cranked normally but didn't start after being parked in the sun. Turned out to be related to the vapor recovery system only on Cali bikes. Hope this helps. Jeff
tunnelvision748 and Daufcguy like this.
post #7 of 19 Old 02-25-2015, 09:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by J Paul View Post
Some of the FJR members in Cali had the same problem with starting. Bike cranked normally but didn't start after being parked in the sun. Turned out to be related to the vapor recovery system only on Cali bikes. Hope this helps. Jeff
I have the same exact issue. Has anyone came up with a solution? When it's parked in the sun, it won't fire up until I give it gas at the same time which is horrible for the engine.

Liquid Graphite
Akropovik Titanium Exhaust
Rizoma LED Tail Light
Rizoma LED blinker lights all around
LED Headlights
Fender Eliminator
Lithium-ion Battery
Techspec Tank Grips
Oxford Heated Grips
RAM Ball Mount with Xgrip
USB Plug
Frame Sliders
Ermax Sport Smoked Windscreen
post #8 of 19 Old 02-26-2015, 07:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gtlwon View Post
Hello,

This is something that happens at least 1-3 times a week. Keep in mind I use my FZ-09 everyday, it is my only transportation.

Scenario - In the morning when I start my bike for work, it will fire right up. (I'm in southern California so at 6am it is about 50 degrees.)

I park my bike in a lot uncovered.

I take my lunch at 12noon,

By this time it is 70-80 degrees outside. I put my key in the ignition, turn to the on position, wait about 5 seconds, then push the start button down. The bike responds with not turning over. I then have to turn the bike off then back on about 2-5 times or so, even having to twist the throttle a little, then the bike will suddenly fire right up.

I'm mentioning the temperatures because I noticed when it is cold outside my bike has no issue starting up, BUT when it is hot outside I get this problem.

It reminds me of when I had a carbureted bike and my carburetors needed to be re synced. I know that my FZ-09 is fuel injected. It makes me un easy to have a 2014 Yamaha that wont start on the first try? Has anyone else had these types of issues?

Thanks,

George L.
I'll be watching this thread to see if this is the start of a larger problem. Good Job!!
post #9 of 19 Old 03-04-2015, 03:31 PM

It sounds like your EVAP, you have to take off the tank to remove the evap. this same exact thing happens to me, the heat from the direct sunlight causes the gas vapor to expand, reducing fuel pressure to the pump, causing the hard start, hence why it never happens first thing in the morning. the dealer wont help you with this because, by law, they cannot remove a "working" evap canister. I am going to bypass the EVAP and remove the canister as soon as I have some free time on the weekend.

Dave DA UFC GUY
East San Diego County
2014 FZ-09
2004 Aprilia Futura
1998 Harley Davidson Wide Glide (EVO)
2013 Harley Davidson Iron 883 (belongs to my better half)
Gone but not forgotten: 1999 HD 1200C, 1975 Honda CB 550F super sport, 2012 HD Softail Slim, 2007 Genuine buddy 125 with a 180 kit, 2009 Honda Rebel 250 (belonged to my better half)
post #10 of 19 Old 03-06-2015, 11:19 AM

Do all NA bikes have the EVAP? Or just California models? I have a Ducati 1199 and once this issue started it only got worse, after several fuel map updates which were inteded to 'fix' the issue I removed the canister and re routed the associated pipe work....now it starts like a champ no matter what bike / outside temp is. Just for info, the EVAP canister was full of fuel.
I am on this forum as I am thinking about an FZ-09 for a daily bike, couple of long trips a year and so on. My Panigale never left me stranded due to EVAP, but did delay a lot of rides whilst waiting for it to cool down, 40 minute fuel stops every 90 miles become tedious after a while!
Do you feel this is a huge problem for the 09?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Yamaha FZ-09 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.