Fz-09 track bike..help! - Yamaha FZ-09 Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
post #1 of 6 Old 05-18-2016, 07:37 PM Thread Starter

Fz-09 track bike..help!

I have a 14 fz09 with 20k miles on it. Upgraded front forks to R1 suspension and it has ohlins rear suspension. Front brake is off an r1 and it is at the dyno shop this week getting mapped. I've had the bike for about a year and put 10k on it before taking it to the track. (3 days now) I want to make this bike the best it possibly could and while talking to a suspension guy at my last track day he said that a lot of the guys racing these styled bikes are raising the rear end about 1" to help the suspensions geometry better like a superbike. I'm wondering if any of you fellas have done or heard about doing this to yours or a friends? I love the bike regardless but am curious to see if i could even further improve on the design.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 05-18-2016, 07:38 PM Thread Starter

This is my bike
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image_1463614681024.jpg (74.9 KB, 31 views)
File Type: jpeg image_1463614714527.jpeg (114.2 KB, 24 views)
post #3 of 6 Old 06-01-2016, 09:09 AM

what year R1 forks did you use? was it a easy swap? have you noticed a big improvement in performance? such as the front forks diving under heavy breaking on the stock setup.

I have a 2014 with stock suspension. i will probably replace the rear shock with zx6r or zx10r off ebay. i am still not sure what i will do about the front. as far as raising the rear 1". seams to make sense. applying more weight on the front of the bike would equal more traction. cant you acheiv this by raising the fork tubes?

post #4 of 6 Old 06-01-2016, 10:39 AM

1" seems quite drastic! Dropping the front end 10mm greatly help and seems sufficient to me. I now use the ZX-10 shock that rise the rear end about 10mm (front end back to 0mm drop)
I'm no pro but had a decent pace at the track. The bike was very stable and I could keep up with about any 600s SS bike out there in the corner... straightaway too LOL

How much the R1 forks lower your bike? I tough they were shorter than the FZ09?
post #5 of 6 Old 06-01-2016, 07:34 PM Thread Starter

Swapping out the suspension on this bike is really a must do if you want to ride hard. Having this engine with the stock suspension is almost dangerous with how horrible it goes into turns at speed. It's night and day difference between mine and a good friend of mines bike who's is still stock besides full exhaust. The R1 springs and valves should just swap into the stanctions and tubes of the fz. Previous owner did that and claimed to have used the stock tubes and stanctions. Just upgraded valves and springs. I managed to find lifters for my bike that are 25 mm longer than stock, equaling ~.98"
I could just lower where the forks mount on my triple trees but this way it does all that and shortens wheel base slightly. I'll let you guys know if I can feel any significant differences after I take her on the track when it's all done. I just got her back from the dyno shop last week. She managed to go from 110.8 hp to 114.4 hpat the wheel. Not a big change but I was more interested in smoothing out the throttle response which Was way too jerky when accelerating out of tight corners. I'm sure most of you guys can agree to that.
post #6 of 6 Old 10-31-2017, 01:05 PM

Would you mind covering in a little more detail the fork internal swap? Such as year of R1 forks, spring rate, any change of spacer length, pics of the install, etc...

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Yamaha FZ-09 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in