2014 FZ-09 DownShifting issue - Yamaha FZ-09 Forum
 4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
post #1 of 14 Old 07-27-2014, 01:13 PM Thread Starter

2014 FZ-09 DownShifting issue

I am new to this Forum, I just bought my 2014 FZ-09 a few months ago. Is anyone else having this issue: Down shifting from 5th - 4th - then 3rd the shifter indicator goes 0 or Blank and shift lever gets physically stuck and will not go to 3rd. I actually have to shift back up to 4th 5th to unstick! Its really strange that mechanically its hung up as well as the Indicator. Thinking to contact the Yamaha Rep.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 Old 07-27-2014, 05:00 PM

Garage
Haven't heard of this before, however this does happen sometimes if you come to a complete stop and forget to shift all the way down before completing the stop.
post #3 of 14 Old 07-27-2014, 06:29 PM Thread Starter

I kno what you mean, but this happens as you begin to slow your roadspeed

post #4 of 14 Old 07-28-2014, 10:51 AM

Stop shifting like Grandma. Yamaha has always had some clunky transmissions. Even though this one is much better, You still have to shift firmly.
post #5 of 14 Old 07-30-2014, 06:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EdgeR6 View Post
Stop shifting like Grandma. Yamaha has always had some clunky transmissions. Even though this one is much better, You still have to shift firmly.
Why do you assume he's shifting like a "Grandma"....maybe there is an actual problem with the bike.

Vern Lux
Sportbike Track Time
Southern Region Instructor
post #6 of 14 Old 07-31-2014, 02:45 PM

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by triplethreat View Post
Why do you assume he's shifting like a "Grandma"....maybe there is an actual problem with the bike.
I work in a troubleshooting environment where everyday I fix things. One thing that I have learned in my short time in my job (10 years). Is to always check basics and human errors.first. For example u go out to your bike and it will not start, you have lights u have a fuel pump priming, but the bike will not start. What do you check first?

I have been on yamaha's since 02, my first street bike was an r6, I went against what everyone said and UT 14k in one summer, before wrecking on my first track day, fz1 09 r1 05 r6 track bike, every forum somebody's always mentions something about false netural or what ever. All of these machines are built for racing, or are race inspired the fz line. They are ment for the most part to be ridden as such. So be sure you are making firm shifts. If you are, then you may have a problem and I would suggest to have your dealer look at it.

Without knowing what experience people have ridding, and this bike being attractive to new riders, which I do not believe this bike is an ideal first bike. Always check for the obvious first.

This is a great platform my biggest complaint is the noise dive setting my corner entrance speed, feels like I'm on my wr.
post #7 of 14 Old 07-31-2014, 06:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EdgeR6 View Post
I work in a troubleshooting environment where everyday I fix things. One thing that I have learned in my short time in my job (10 years). Is to always check basics and human errors.first. For example u go out to your bike and it will not start, you have lights u have a fuel pump priming, but the bike will not start. What do you check first?

I have been on yamaha's since 02, my first street bike was an r6, I went against what everyone said and UT 14k in one summer, before wrecking on my first track day, fz1 09 r1 05 r6 track bike, every forum somebody's always mentions something about false netural or what ever. All of these machines are built for racing, or are race inspired the fz line. They are ment for the most part to be ridden as such. So be sure you are making firm shifts. If you are, then you may have a problem and I would suggest to have your dealer look at it.

Without knowing what experience people have ridding, and this bike being attractive to new riders, which I do not believe this bike is an ideal first bike. Always check for the obvious first.

This is a great platform my biggest complaint is the noise dive setting my corner entrance speed, feels like I'm on my wr.
I too work in a troubleshooting environment....I've been a Journeyman Maint. Electrician since 1980....spending 30 years in a fully integrated Steel Mill and working on lots and lots of complex machinery. We had (6) 400 Ton overhead cranes in the dept. that I worked in. No, that's not a typo......400 TON capacity on the main hoist, which was rather complex.

I'm certainly not saying it's not rider error, but you didn't really need to express it the way you did......"shifting like a Grandma". The longer you are in your profession, whatever that may be, and the more experience that you acquire, you will learn to NEVER ASSUME something about what may be the issue. The one thing that struck me about the original post is that the bike shifts OK when going from 6 to 5, and 5 to 4, but 4 to 3 gives him a shifting issue. To me, logic indicates that he most likely is shifting the same way every time he shifts....but yet, it's hanging up in the 4 down to 3 shift. That is why I suggested that maybe there is actually an issue with the bike. Again, it might be rider error, or there might be an actual problem, so don't ASSUME that he is shifting like a Grandma.

Your welcome!

Oh, one other side note....I've been riding since 1971 and the FZ09 is my 26th motorcycle.....so yea, I've got a little bit of experience there too.
FZ9SEA likes this.

Vern Lux
Sportbike Track Time
Southern Region Instructor

Last edited by triplethreat; 07-31-2014 at 06:55 PM.
post #8 of 14 Old 07-31-2014, 10:02 PM

See your point. You got about 12 years more riding experience then I do. I'm 36. the 09 is my 15th motorcycle. Not to mention 3 wheelers 4 wheelers snowmobiles I started at a very young age.

People are usually slowing when down shifting, and get lazy on the street. I guess I could suggested it was a lazy shift. But the end result is what matters so hopefully it is rider error, instead of being a issue with the bike. I would hate to have to have a shop investigate something like that. Nobody has heard from the OP hopefully he got it sorted out.
triplethreat likes this.
post #9 of 14 Old 07-31-2014, 10:36 PM

It IS possible to get a false neutral on the 09. I don't get it on my downshifts, but occasionally if I'm really on it, I'll get a false neutral between 2nd and 3rd, to the point where no matter how many times I try to click up a gear I'm still in that false neutral. For me, I realized I need to take all the upward pressure off the shift lever and then it will click into third. It might be related to the shift lever return spring..idk, but it can happen. And by the way, I don't shift like Grandma and I'm not going to beat my chest and explain how many bikes I've owned or how many years I've been riding. The poor guy was looking for help, not an admonishment of his riding ability...
Hoodman likes this.
post #10 of 14 Old 08-29-2014, 08:45 AM

I had this issue just the other day...I was coming off an exit ramp and was running pretty hard as i was down shifting i noticed that the shift indicator was blank. I continued to try and downshift but it would not. I let out on the clutch and all of a sudden 3rd gear popped back up and then it started downshifting like normal. This is the 1st time it has happened and i haven't rode any since.

1983 GS1100
2004 TTR225
2014 FZ-09

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Yamaha FZ-09 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in