Getting the itch again.... - Yamaha FZ-09 Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
post #1 of 10 Old 11-11-2014, 10:25 PM Thread Starter

Getting the itch again....

Well guys, a few of you early birds to the forum may remember me, I'm back; and I've got the itch. To catch the others up to speed, I had a deposit down on the FZ-09 (blurple wheels of course) before it even hit the dealer floors and they knew the orange model would be coming too. Once it was out long enough, I finally got the insurance quote and it was total sticker shock and I had to throw in the towel. Ended up getting myself an 07 FZ6 instead.

Anyways, as I approach the end of my car payments after a year and a few months, I think it may be time to reconsider, and save my pennies with weekend. But the orange has really caught my eye. I'm equally a sucker for orange as I am blurple, so we will see how I feel come spring. Just wanted to give you guys a heads up, I may be lurking around, posting from time to time. I won't get real serious until Feb-Mar of 2015.

And to all the new guys since I departed from these wonderful thread, hello! And 12v_dub, I am really digging that projector setup you got going on

08 Suzuki DRZ400s - 77 Yamaha DT400 - 07 Yamaha FZ6 - FZ-09 on reserve
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(but I have decided to let it go
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 11-15-2014, 08:27 PM

I have a perfect driving record, I am 31, and I have other vehicles on my policy and insurance on this bike is $1200 a year. That is way more than the $350 a year for my FZ8.

I was shocked, but the FZ-09 is soooooo much more fun. I can't wait to get the suspension sorted out. The FZ8 was better in the corners (stock vs. stock).
post #3 of 10 Old 11-15-2014, 08:35 PM

State Farm, Everyone else doesn't classify the FZ correctly and gives you huge rates. My buddy went threw this, and wound up with State Farm and a 3rd of the cost of everyone else. BTW 36 Perfect dl pay about 25 a month Full coverage on the 09.

post #4 of 10 Old 11-15-2014, 11:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EdgeR6 View Post
State Farm, Everyone else doesn't classify the FZ correctly and gives you huge rates. My buddy went threw this, and wound up with State Farm and a 3rd of the cost of everyone else. BTW 36 Perfect dl pay about 25 a month Full coverage on the 09.

Thanks for the heads up. I will call them on monday. I'm with Allstate right now and they have been great to work with. I just didn't expect to pay that much for insurance with the FZ-09. But, in their defense, this is the gnarliest bike i have ever ridden. I can see why they want to charge you an arm and a leg. You throw an inexperienced rider on this bike and it is a recipe for disaster.
post #5 of 10 Old 11-16-2014, 08:47 AM

Just remember, the Orange is not a color option in the 2015 model lineup....if you are looking at new. Of course there may (not likely) be an Orange 2014 left over from the 2014 model year......or you may have to settle for a used one if that is your color choice.

Vern Lux
Sportbike Track Time
Southern Region Instructor
post #6 of 10 Old 11-16-2014, 11:03 AM

I don't work for state farm, but while you call them you may want to check on moving your cars over there two you may be very surprised at what they can do. Let me know how it turns out.
And I think that may be the other part of why the rates are so high there is no crash data available as of yet.
post #7 of 10 Old 11-17-2014, 12:34 PM Thread Starter

Triplethreat, I have no issue with buying used. I typically look to the secondary market for all of my purchases. Skip all the dealer fees, often lighter taxes, and lower price in general. The bike's brand new, the odds of something being wrong with it is incredibly slim.

I do have a different insurance company than I did when I checked around, and this one is a local company that gives me much better rates. So I'll be interested to see what rate they will throw out there. Regardless, I'll be sure that I'm seated

08 Suzuki DRZ400s - 77 Yamaha DT400 - 07 Yamaha FZ6 - FZ-09 on reserve
(but I have decided to let it go
)
post #8 of 10 Old 11-17-2014, 04:32 PM

OK. I just moved my coverage to State Farm from Allstate.

Allstate was $1250 a year with a $1000 deductible on collision, $250 deductible on comp and of course liability.

StateFarm is $430 a year with $250 collision deductible, $250 comp deductible.

STATEFARM wins!!!!!!

Also, my truck and renter insurance were identical with Allstate. It was just this motorcycle that caused me to move over. My FZ8 was the same cost between the two as well. I am not sure why this bike is such a pain with insurance.
post #9 of 10 Old 11-17-2014, 05:30 PM
Super Moderator

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmillercrew4 View Post
OK. I just moved my coverage to State Farm from Allstate.

Allstate was $1250 a year with a $1000 deductible on collision, $250 deductible on comp and of course liability.

StateFarm is $430 a year with $250 collision deductible, $250 comp deductible.

STATEFARM wins!!!!!!

Also, my truck and renter insurance were identical with Allstate. It was just this motorcycle that caused me to move over. My FZ8 was the same cost between the two as well. I am not sure why this bike is such a pain with insurance.
I think the marketing from Yamaha is what is causing high rates. Its being billed as a "hooligan" bike. Almost every video is showing it popping wheelies, doing stunts in dark warehouse's etc. Don't think for a minute that this hasn't caught the eye of insurance companies. I am in Canada and bike rates are high to begin with. My FZ-09, I was paying R1 rates. Its classed as a super sportbike. I had a 2013 Gladius and it was under $600.00 for the year for full coverage. Don't expect the rates to go down on the FZ-09, a few got totaled over the season and insurance rates are based on statistics. I bought a 2008 Honda Civic a couple of years ago, rates went up from my HHR. I asked why and the answer was that the Honda Civic is one of the most popular cars on the road. Given that I was told that more claims are paid out for Honda Civics and that's why the cost is higher.

post #10 of 10 Old 11-17-2014, 05:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by harrywz View Post
I think the marketing from Yamaha is what is causing high rates. Its being billed as a "hooligan" bike. Almost every video is showing it popping wheelies, doing stunts in dark warehouse's etc. Don't think for a minute that this hasn't caught the eye of insurance companies. I am in Canada and bike rates are high to begin with. My FZ-09, I was paying R1 rates. Its classed as a super sportbike. I had a 2013 Gladius and it was under $600.00 for the year for full coverage. Don't expect the rates to go down on the FZ-09, a few got totaled over the season and insurance rates are based on statistics. I bought a 2008 Honda Civic a couple of years ago, rates went up from my HHR. I asked why and the answer was that the Honda Civic is one of the most popular cars on the road. Given that I was told that more claims are paid out for Honda Civics and that's why the cost is higher.
The commercials for the FZ8 were identical. But this bike is way crazier than the FZ8 ever was.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Yamaha FZ-09 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in