What was Yamaha thinking?!? - Yamaha FZ-09 Forum
 4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
post #1 of 16 Old 01-23-2015, 04:07 PM Thread Starter

What was Yamaha thinking?!?

I've demo'ed the FZ-09 at Santa Rosa Powersports. Nice people there.

Okay, I got to say that the bike's great in some ways. The ergo, the engine, and the looks are all thumbs up.

What pissed me off big time are the suspension! What in the world was Yamaha thinking?? Good Lawd, it was 'ORRIBLE! This bike really needs a real proper suspension all the way. Rebound, Compression, and Preload 100% are necessary for potent bike of a FZ09. I wouldn't mind if they put up the price of $10k because, with proper legs, it's that worth it!

Another niggling things about this bike are the turn signals, they were wobbly all the way bugging my eyes. Bloody 'ell!

Anyway, great bike. The bike I've rode was Cadium Yellow. Eeer, not my cup of cake but I would go for all black. Or just remove paint off the tank and clear coat it.

Most important mods for this bike would be changing all brake lines to steel. Yamaha!! Follow up next time. Look at Ducati, they use steel lines!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 Old 01-23-2015, 07:04 PM

Garage
Agreed ^

But there are quality buyers. Prestige buyers, and value buyers

When your done making this bike what it can be. You will have spent $10K
Yamaha to their credit made a fantastic value buyers bike, that can be so much more with just a bit of tweaking.
post #3 of 16 Old 01-24-2015, 03:09 AM

Garage
Few Mods after bought it last late Nov. I adjusted "HARD" preload setup front and rear suspension and not bad.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_3759.jpg (380.2 KB, 63 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_3772.jpg (474.7 KB, 45 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_3770.jpg (268.1 KB, 45 views)

post #4 of 16 Old 01-24-2015, 06:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fzpepe View Post
I've demo'ed the FZ-09 at Santa Rosa Powersports. Nice people there.

Okay, I got to say that the bike's great in some ways. The ergo, the engine, and the looks are all thumbs up.

What pissed me off big time are the suspension! What in the world was Yamaha thinking?? Good Lawd, it was 'ORRIBLE! This bike really needs a real proper suspension all the way. Rebound, Compression, and Preload 100% are necessary for potent bike of a FZ09. I wouldn't mind if they put up the price of $10k because, with proper legs, it's that worth it!

Another niggling things about this bike are the turn signals, they were wobbly all the way bugging my eyes. Bloody 'ell!

Anyway, great bike. The bike I've rode was Cadium Yellow. Eeer, not my cup of cake but I would go for all black. Or just remove paint off the tank and clear coat it.

Most important mods for this bike would be changing all brake lines to steel. Yamaha!! Follow up next time. Look at Ducati, they use steel lines!
The FZ09 is a value priced bike with a suspension for the masses. Even on a bike with the kind of engine performance numbers that it has, the majority of folks that buy the bike will will not use it for higher performance riding where top of the line suspension is required. Will there be some.........YES, I'm one of them, as there are others too. But I said the majority ....will not. So, Yamaha made what they thought would be a great seller, and it's proved to be true. Even some of the top of the line suspension bikes will require tweaks to get it just right for an individual. Personally, I would rather do the suspension upgrades that I WANT, rather than to allow the factory to provide higher priced suspension components that they THINK is right for me. And to compare the FZ09 and the Ducati brake lines.........what......$100 worth of steel lines..........so little to gripe about, especially when you take into consideration that the MAJORITY of people riding the bike cannot fully use the brakes to 100% of what is there already.

I've spent money on suspension for my FZ. I've spent money on the ECU reflash and an Arrow full exhaust and I've not regretted one penny spent so far. To me, it's a much better option than having Yamaha provide what they THINK might work for me. YMMV of course.
PaulG, quicksilver and plyn9 like this.

Vern Lux
Sportbike Track Time
Southern Region Instructor
post #5 of 16 Old 01-24-2015, 07:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Route0766 View Post
Few Mods after bought it last late Nov. I adjusted "HARD" preload setup front and rear suspension and not bad.

What head light fairing have you got on the bike?
Thanks

FreakyFreak
post #6 of 16 Old 01-24-2015, 09:43 AM

Garage
I agree, the suspension is soft, the seat sucks and it has rubber brake lines. But I'm looking forward to doing the valve adjustments myself on the FZ because my Ducati dealer charged me $980.00 in labor to do my Streetfighter 1098 valves....that's no collets either...just labor.

And compared to what I paid for my Ducati, it's nice to walk around the dollar store and try it out.

'11 Ducati Streetfighter S
'13 Triumph Street Triple R
'12 Triumph Bonneville
'10 BMW F800GS
'13 Yamaha FZ-09
'76 Honda cafe
'76 Honda cafe
post #7 of 16 Old 01-24-2015, 12:19 PM

I was looking very hard at the 1200 Monster before I bought the FZ. I've been a Yamahammer fan boy since I bought my FJR in 2004. What sold me on the FZ over the Monster Duc was parts prices and service prices. I've put about $3500 in upgrades on my FZ since purchased. Penske shock, Race Tech fork valves and springs (still have to finish the spring install), Akra Ti exhaust, Stoltec Flash, and a host of bling items. The Stoltec flash and some cable adjusting took care of the majority of the throttle issues and I will be installing the O2 controller, when it arrives. The three problem issues with this bike that I had to do something about: #1 Suspension #2 Throttle #3 Seat are all taken care of. This is a sweet performer and I love to ride it as well a modify and tweak it. Don't get me wrong, the 1200 Monster would have been sweet also, but I'm glad I went with the FZ.
Yamaha did a good job of delivering an excellent platform with the FZ. I will probably never do a track day and most riders will not and most will probably never see the speed limiter. Most will probably adjust the stock suspension and live with it.
I would like to see Yamaha produce a "R" or "X" or "S" or whatever version, with some slick performance upgrades to the suspension, exhaust, and cowling/bugscreen perhaps. I believe they would definitely sell. Just my 2 cents worth.
post #8 of 16 Old 01-24-2015, 01:14 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by FreakyFreak View Post
What head light fairing have you got on the bike?
Thanks

FreakyFreak
it is Pyramid-Fly-Screen-Yamaha-FZ09-FZ-09-MT09
post #9 of 16 Old 01-24-2015, 05:22 PM Thread Starter

Duly noted, guys! I got three bikes on my list:
Ducati Multistrada 1200 or 1200S
Ducati Monster 1200S
Yamaha FZ09

I now ride a Ducati Multistrada 1000S DS and it's sweet. Great Ohlins! Now you see why I expect quality suspension. 92hp is not enough for me anymore these days. The problem with Ducatis is that they (the motorcycles) kept stealing my heart. Heh.

Does the Yamaha steal my heart? So and so but the ride was amazing yet hairy. I could buy new then upgrade it and it'll hit the $10k mark or more. On the other hand, I can get nice used Ducati Multistrada 1200 around $11k to $12k and there are nothing else to upgrade because it is perfect. Maybe just change exhaust system anytime later.

You would ask me about the tune-up cost. I wouldn't have to worry about it because I do the tune-up easily.

If and when Yamaha offer such FZ-09 with fully adjustable legs then I'm sold. Look at Triumph Striple R, fully adjustable legs, great price though.
post #10 of 16 Old 01-24-2015, 07:26 PM

What type of riding are you planning for the new bike? Casual cruising, aggressive twisties, commuting, sport-touring, ???? One of the things I would be looking at also is cost of ownership (maint. parts. ect), and reliability. Also, if you are looking at the more aggressive twisty stuff, what is the weight difference between the FZ09 and the others. I can tell you that my FZ09 with a Penske double clicker on the rear and some reworked front end components, has quicker turn in than my 600RR track bike with an Ohlins TTX on the rear and Ohlins internals on the front and setup perfectly for my weight and riding style.

Vern Lux
Sportbike Track Time
Southern Region Instructor

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Yamaha FZ-09 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in