Nothing like crashing your new FZ09 with 1.1 mi on the odometer - Yamaha FZ-09 Forum
 2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
post #1 of 17 Old 12-05-2015, 03:24 PM Thread Starter

Nothing like crashing your new FZ09 with 1.1 mi on the odometer

Went to pick it up at the dealer and took it for a little spin down the road with 0.0 on the odometer. Went to make a low speed turn-around and wham, I'm sliding on pavement with the bike. I have ridden bikes since 1983 and never laid down a street bike.

guess the new tires were really slick combined with the off camber lay out of the road were the biggest factors.

Anyway, it broke the right mirror, skinned up the right side engine cases and bent the bars.

Wanted to ask if anyone has used aftermarket mirrors? Any experience with engine covers? Also, what replacement bars have people been using?

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 Old 12-05-2015, 10:33 PM

Garage
Man that sucks. Hope your ok. The stock tires suck too. Don't even wait for them to wear out, before you get different ones.
post #3 of 17 Old 12-06-2015, 09:32 AM

as far as I know i dropped mines too and it messed up the side engine cases, I ended up filling in the deep scratches with bondo (did this at home) then put primer and a final layer of black paint from walmart, needless to say it saved me a few. I know the parts for these bikes can be a bit expensive. I would recommend the impaktech cage for this bike i snatched one up on black friday for around $320 shipped.

post #4 of 17 Old 12-06-2015, 01:35 PM

I picked up my new bike using my truck, rather than riding it home the 50 miles thru heavy traffic. Glad I did. Even my wife commented on the slickness of the new tires as it sat in my truck. I installed my sliders, engine case guards, and other items before I even moved it out to the garage...plus I wiped down both tires before my initial ride.

Lots of folks here have stock mirrors and bars due to installing aftermarket parts, and some are parting out wrecked bikes. https://www.fz-09forums.com/forum/fz-...andlebars.html

If the engine cover is just cosmetic, then simply re-paint the cover without pulling it off the bike, and install some case guards like T-Rex, which will cover most of it. Clean those tires off with a rag and some degreaser. Really...nothing wrong with the stock tires once they are scuffed in.

Last edited by Spacecoast; 12-06-2015 at 01:44 PM.
post #5 of 17 Old 12-06-2015, 03:46 PM Thread Starter

I brought my trailer to take it home but couldn't resist a quick run down the road before loading it up. Dampest thing that ever happen to me. I was very aware of new tires as I buy new bikes all the time, I really could not have been going any slower or riding more careful when it slid out.

Anyway, the engine cases aren't really that expensive. The oil pump cover and gasket are only about $50, the clutch cover not much more. I'll probably buy them and wait until I need to do some service and replace them. I will post pictures.

Bars have to be replaced soon, bent them back to some extent but it is bothering me too much. Anyone have suggestions? Thanks for the link. I am reading it
post #6 of 17 Old 12-06-2015, 03:50 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick View Post
Man that sucks. Hope your ok. The stock tires suck too. Don't even wait for them to wear out, before you get different ones.
Thanks for the concern. It was low speed but I skinned up my knee pretty good and sore some but can't complain.

I'm going to wear in these tires some and see if I feel safe on them.
post #7 of 17 Old 12-06-2015, 04:40 PM

Nothing wrong with the tyres, unless on the showroom floor they put the silicone spray on them to look shiny. Feed the torque to the rear like spreading peanut butter on soft bread then you'll have to incidents. This bike loads the gobs of torque at low RPM and can catch you out.
post #8 of 17 Old 12-06-2015, 05:24 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by vitesse View Post
Nothing wrong with the tyres, unless on the showroom floor they put the silicone spray on them to look shiny. Feed the torque to the rear like spreading peanut butter on soft bread then you'll have to incidents. This bike loads the gobs of torque at low RPM and can catch you out.
Brand new tires are slick, always. I'm used to torque from my ducatis and Rc51. Several factors led to the spill, really could not be avoided.

Now, back to who has replaced their bars?
post #9 of 17 Old 12-09-2015, 05:13 PM

Gotta be rider error in every case above. Or something was on those tires that shouldn't have been. I'm almost 50 years old and know the feel of new tires too, and although a bit slick, nowhere near what folks are describing here.
C. Dolan likes this.
post #10 of 17 Old 12-09-2015, 07:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by msbrill View Post
Gotta be rider error in every case above. Or something was on those tires that shouldn't have been. I'm almost 50 years old and know the feel of new tires too, and although a bit slick, nowhere near what folks are describing here.
Dropping a bike is almost always rider error. Dropped more than one bike myself...the OP admitted as to what happened, no need to add more hurt. Never seen such slick tires than what was on my FZ, and I'm older than 50.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Yamaha FZ-09 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in