Break in worries - Yamaha FZ-09 Forum
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By vitesse

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
post #1 of 7 Old 04-21-2016, 03:46 PM Thread Starter

Break in worries

Hey all! First post here as i'm a brand new proud owner of a 2016 FZ09. I've had two bikes before, a 1200 Sportster and 1500 Softail. I decided on the third one to take the plunge in the "sport" world so here I am.

When I purchased the motorcycle and asked the salesman about breaking in the engine. His response was basically not to worry about it and ride it however I wanted but I was still hesitant. Lately though I've read a lot about the "hard" break in and am wondering if I missed out.

I have several hundred miles on the bike now. I've varying my speed constantly, always up and down 5mph here and 10-15mph there, all around whatever speed limit I work up to, while I work my way through the gears, but I still feel like I stay in the same RPM range no matter where I go, 2-8K. I've also had several instances of 100+mph on the highway, that's where I would get the bursts up to 8K or so RPM, but I've never really raised the RPMs to high, below 10 I think.

Recently now that I feel i'm adjusted to the power I've been riding in the standard mode and pushing the engine more, allowing myself to get much higher into the RPMs, 7,8,9K on the way up to 60 or 70mph, in the lower gears. My plan was to put a couple hundred on it "easy" while making my way through the gears and learning the power of the bike and the new riding style. Now I feel i'm adjusted enough to really start to get on it but I'm worried I've missed the boat on the "hard" break in.

Anyone have any input? I've seen the video from "Jake the Snake" and the motoman method and am just kind of worried. I had plan on changing the oil at 500 (dealer recommended) but should I change it now and then ride the engine hard till 500 and be done with the "break in?"

I also realize at this point there isn't much I can do anyway, just searching for some small amount of peace of mind if there is any to be had. I was really excited about this purchase...i'd hate to think I started wrong right out of the gate. LoL.

Thanks for your time.

Last edited by LanzoCommando; 04-21-2016 at 03:49 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 04-21-2016, 04:42 PM

I wouldn't worry too much about it.
The important point of the "hard break in" process,is to use short bursts of higher power levels in the first few hundred km.This allows higher cylinder pressures to bed the rings in well while the bores are still abrasive.Many people believe the factory begin this process before the bike comes off the production line.
post #3 of 7 Old 04-21-2016, 10:16 PM

There seems to be a small community that swears by the "hard break-in" method, but honestly I think Yamaha probably knows more about the engine than anyone else does. From what you wrote, I think your bike was broken-in just fine. Some recommend changing the oil early, but if I recall Yamaha calls for the first oil change at 600 miles...and then maybe at 4K afterwards. Check the manual. My suggestion is perhaps stay with regular dino oil (in other words, don't use synthetic) on the first change, and ride for another 1,500. That means the second oil change will be at around 2K miles. I just did this with my 2015 and didn't see any metal in the oil. And now I'm running a motorcycle full synthetic, being on my second oil change. For regular dino, I like using Rotella.

You probably ran your bike harder and more varied than I did...and my bike runs quite strong. Full throttle in second brings up the front wheel during the acceleration...and in third it feels like its about to come up too. I think you have nothing to worry about regarding your FZ...enjoy.

Last edited by Spacecoast; 04-21-2016 at 10:22 PM.

post #4 of 7 Old 04-24-2016, 11:49 AM

Garage
Break it in like you're going to ride it is what I do, hasn't let me down so far and it pulls like a raped ape.

I bought a '13 Triumph Street Triple and was banging it off the rev limiter with 200 miles on it. I know it wasn't the norm but the engine runs perfect. Never a problem with it ever. I think modern bikes have such close tolerances that engine failures are a thing of the past, could be wrong but that's what I think.

Change the oil and filter at 600 miles to get the assembly fluid, metallic bits and clutch material out of there then give it hell.

'11 Ducati Streetfighter S
'13 Triumph Street Triple R
'12 Triumph Bonneville
'10 BMW F800GS
'13 Yamaha FZ-09
'76 Honda cafe
'76 Honda cafe
post #5 of 7 Old 04-24-2016, 04:45 PM

Garage
Beating the bike up during break in is probably one good reason you don't see many with 100k on them. If you don't plan to own it past 20k than who cares treat it like shit, then sell it to some poor schmuck. Why baby it?
post #6 of 7 Old 04-25-2016, 07:46 PM

There is a book you get with the bike, it is written by the people who designed the bike, it is written by the people who made the bike, go there,
Hoodman likes this.
post #7 of 7 Old 08-06-2018, 11:11 AM

Just follow the owner's manual instructions. Nobody knows what works best better than the folks who engineered the bike.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Yamaha FZ-09 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in