Downshifting issue on '16 FZ-09 - Yamaha FZ-09 Forum
 7Likes
  • 3 Post By Spacecoast
  • 2 Post By vitesse
  • 2 Post By msbrill

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
post #1 of 4 Old 04-29-2016, 03:11 PM Thread Starter

Downshifting issue on '16 FZ-09

I've seen the same problem reported on this site and others like it so I wonder if there's a solid fix yet or if I just have to deal with it. Unresponsive when downshifting into 3rd, 2nd and 1st. Usually at slow speeds. I've had my brand new '16 FZ-09 for almost 4 months and have had this downshifting issue since day 1. I've gone to the dealership (two different ones) but they like to try and explain away my concerns without even looking at the bike, a 2-minute test ride around the block isn't too helpful. This is my 4th street bike, been riding for 15 years and this shifting issue puts me in precarious positions on a daily basis. Thanks to another post similar to this someone recommended easing off the clutch when the downshift goes 'dead' and that works but it also takes a second to do. It's especially noticeable when coming to a stop or slowing down in general. Most dangerous when having to slow down while lane-splitting. I've tried adjusting the clutch cable every which way, I am only downshifting one gear at a time, not multiple, and I knock it down hard, no pussy-footin'. I call it a dead-pedal because you can feel that no matter how hard you try to knock it down a gear, it's not going - it's dead. The gear indicator display goes completely blank and you're basically in neutral. Because I haven't been helped by a Yamaha dealership in my area, is there a way to contact Yamaha directly so they can arrange to have it looked at by a dealer and kind of heavy hand them into taking a serious look at it?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 05-31-2016, 05:08 PM

First of all, re-adjust your cable back to where the factory had it. If you're not sure, with the motor off, put the bike in first or second gear. Attempt to push the bike either forward or backward. Slowly pull in the clutch and see when the clutch disengages. Your lever pull should be less than half-way.
Now, regarding the issue....when you down-shift you need to be moving at appropriate speeds for the gear you are selecting. From what you wrote, it sounds like you are shifting somewhat late and thus moving too slow. And when you encounter the problem, let the clutch out slightly until the gear engages, then shift to the next gear. Once in a while, I'll have a slight hang-up, but letting out the clutch solves it quickly.
Piggyboy, vitesse and msbrill like this.
post #3 of 4 Old 06-01-2016, 09:55 AM

All motorbike transmission are RPM sensitive, in that unless you are spinning up enough for your gears to mesh properly they hang up. Put a bicycle on a stand, try to shift it while the wheel is dead, they spin the wheel and shift it. Same principle. No matter how many "street" bikes you have had you need to listen to and learn your current mount.
msbrill and Bucket Jumper like this.

post #4 of 4 Old 06-09-2016, 01:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vitesse View Post
All motorbike transmission are RPM sensitive, in that unless you are spinning up enough for your gears to mesh properly they hang up. Put a bicycle on a stand, try to shift it while the wheel is dead, they spin the wheel and shift it. Same principle. No matter how many "street" bikes you have had you need to listen to and learn your current mount.

Could not agree more.....if you wait until the last minute to work your way back down to 1st gear, you're going to have a bit of an issue. It's happened to me several times due to my own laziness.
vitesse and Bucket Jumper like this.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Yamaha FZ-09 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in