Trail Braking - Page 2 - Yamaha FZ-09 Forum
 1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
post #11 of 21 Old 10-03-2013, 12:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by triplethreat View Post
Why wait for the high tech stuff, learn to trail brake for yourself. It can be done Now and it can get as good as you want it to be with practice.
i agree, the high tech stuff take away from the whole experience, better to have more of a natural feel and go without them.

Ride, eat, sleep...repeat.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 21 Old 10-03-2013, 10:20 AM

It'll take time to get it right nothing beats practicing and trying to get it perfect.
post #13 of 21 Old 10-30-2013, 08:56 AM
Super Moderator

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken C View Post
A basic explanation of trail braking in video form can be found here. Riding in the Zone Video Sampler
Good link @Ken C, do you trail brake, have you ever tried it out?

--

FZ09Fanatic (Joe)
Super Moderator, and Fanatic biker craving speed
2008 Yamaha R6

post #14 of 21 Old 10-30-2013, 09:47 AM

In general I feel I have been the minority when it comes to trail braking. I have pretty much always trail braked when riding aggressively. I found that by trail braking all the time or at a minimum lightly touching the brakes while in the front half of a turn I have become very very smooth and never caught off guard. I also find that my front end feedback is greatly improved allowing me to again make smooth transitions regardless of unforeseen road conditions, cars, animals, potholes, debris, decreasing radius corner or unfamiliar roads.
At the track it is very easy to get good as conditions stay relatively even and predictable. On the street the playing field is completely different. This is where muscle memory and habits play the largest role.
Start slow build a good “habit” and practice practice practice.
post #15 of 21 Old 10-30-2013, 10:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FZ09Fanatic View Post
Good link @Ken C, do you trail brake, have you ever tried it out?
Deliberate trail braking is a very useful technique that I use often on both the street and the track, but especially on the racetrack.

The reason to use trail braking (braking past the turn's entry and "trailing" off the brakes as you lean more) is to stabilize the suspension.

A lot of inexperienced riders brake late into corners, but this is usually unintentional and is instead just poor cornering technique (charging into corners).

I write about trail braking in my book and in the articles I write for MCN. It's a technique worth mastering. But, it's also important to know when it's beneficial and when it is increasing risk.

See my latest blog post on trail braking for more: 10 things you need to know about Trailbraking | Riding in the Zone
post #16 of 21 Old 10-30-2013, 10:46 AM
Super Moderator

Garage
Quote:
Deliberate trail braking is a very useful technique that I use often on both the street and the track, but especially on the racetrack.

The reason to use trail braking (braking past the turn's entry and "trailing" off the brakes as you lean more) is to stabilize the suspension.

A lot of inexperienced riders brake late into corners, but this is usually unintentional and is instead just poor cornering technique (charging into corners).

I write about trail braking in my book and in the articles I write for MCN. It's a technique worth mastering. But, it's also important to know when it's beneficial and when it is increasing risk.

See my latest blog post on trail braking for more: 10 things you need to know about Trailbraking | Riding in the Zone

For sure, plus it's one of the most dangerous things new riders do (misjudge). Great info, thanks for sharing.

I don't remember learning it in the basic safety courses a while back but I'm sure the more advanced courses teach it as mandatory training. @triplethreat you probably know this pretty well being a teacher in this arena, how many people become "good" at trail braking and is it something people come to you specifically to learn?

Joe

--

FZ09Fanatic (Joe)
2008 Yamaha R6
post #17 of 21 Old 10-30-2013, 10:54 AM

Quote:
For sure, plus it's one of the most dangerous things new riders do (misjudge). Great info, thanks for sharing.

I don't remember learning it in the basic safety courses a while back but I'm sure the more advanced courses teach it as mandatory training. @triplethreat you probably know this pretty well being a teacher in this arena, how many people become "good" at trail braking and is it something people come to you specifically to learn?

Joe
You won't hear this being taught in basic courses. It's a technique that a lot of people shy away from (including instructors) because it is intimidating to learn. The best way to learn this is in a parking lot and then refine it on the racetrack with a reputable track day organization that offer instruction.
post #18 of 21 Old 10-30-2013, 10:57 AM
Super Moderator

Garage
Quote:
You won't hear this being taught in basic courses. It's a technique that a lot of people shy away from (including instructors) because it is intimidating to learn. The best way to learn this is in a parking lot and then refine it on the racetrack with a reputable track day organization that offer instruction.
I can remember getting on a bike feeling intimidating.. so if it's the proper technique (and effectively saves lives) you would think it would become mandated as something that you "must learn" as you go through courses. That said, I can imagine how badly I would have done when I started trying to trail brake... would have been a mess.

--

FZ09Fanatic (Joe)
2008 Yamaha R6
post #19 of 21 Old 10-30-2013, 11:20 AM

Quote:

Joe
Joe, as an organization, we at Sportbike Track Time do NOT try to teach trail braking at any time in the Novice group...it's more of an advanced technique better suited for more experienced riders on the track.
In general, you need to have mastered being smooth with your throttle and baking inputs and it almost be second nature to you. Personally, if I'm coaching in one of the other groups, primarily Intermediate, and someone asks me for help learning to trail brake,I will go out on the track and follow them for half a session or so and then if I feel that they are consistently smooth, we can start working on trail braking, revised braking points, and lines....as your line will certainly change when you are trail braking vs. not trail braking.

Vern Lux
Sportbike Track Time
Southern Region Instructor
post #20 of 21 Old 10-30-2013, 11:27 AM

Quote:
I can remember getting on a bike feeling intimidating.. so if it's the proper technique (and effectively saves lives) you would think it would become mandated as something that you "must learn" as you go through courses. That said, I can imagine how badly I would have done when I started trying to trail brake... would have been a mess.
I agree that it is a very valuable technique to learn and know but riding a bike is kind of like running....you have to learn to walk before you learn to run, and you need to learn SMOOTH before you try to learn to trail brake.

Vern Lux
Sportbike Track Time
Southern Region Instructor

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Yamaha FZ-09 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in