Join Date: Nov 2017
Location: Hopkinsville, KY
2017 FZ09 - 1st service questions
i recently purchased a 2017 fz09...i noticed in the owner's manual a recommendation to sync the throttle body at first service...i am fully capable of servicing the bike on my own with the exception of this item so i contacted the dealer to ask how much they would much they would charge for the first 600 mile service...i was anticipating perhaps $150-$180 for this service because i know they're in the business to make money, not just keep me happy...when the service department told me it would be $380, i essentially hung up on them...i have called a few other dealerships in my area and they were considerably less, but still in the range of $250-$300. Because of the quotes i received, i went ahead and serviced the bike per the owner's manual recommendations with the exception of the throttle body sync (or as stated in owner's manual "adjust synchronization of fuel injection system)) and the diagnostic system check.
So related to the above issue, I am looking for feedback on the following questions:
1. How much did you pay for your first 600 mile service if you went to a dealer?
2. Did the 600 mile service require any adjustment to your throttle body? If so, did you get a separate cost for this item?
3. If you had a throttle body sync at the dealer, did you notice a difference afterward?
4. If you performed the throttle body sync yourself, how long did it take to complete?
5. Do i need to worry about having a diagnostic system check if there are no apparent issues with the bike?
6. What type of issue would a diagnostic system check identify that i may not be aware of?
Btw...the dealer i purchased the bike from who is also the one who quoted me the first service cost at $380 said that almost an hour is spent by their service tech when servicing the bike to check and adjust any necessary nuts, bolts, etc for proper torque...the only thing i can thing that i may consider checking is the steering assembly for proper torque...anyone have any thoughts on this issue? Again, I know they are gouging me with the quoted price and, as a result, i'm not giving them any more of my business...but, i would still like to know others opinions on this issues.
Thanks in advance for any help you may provide.