2017 FZ09 - 1st service questions - Yamaha FZ-09 Forum
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By dangrass

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
post #1 of 4 Old 11-04-2017, 03:12 PM Thread Starter

Question 2017 FZ09 - 1st service questions

i recently purchased a 2017 fz09...i noticed in the owner's manual a recommendation to sync the throttle body at first service...i am fully capable of servicing the bike on my own with the exception of this item so i contacted the dealer to ask how much they would much they would charge for the first 600 mile service...i was anticipating perhaps $150-$180 for this service because i know they're in the business to make money, not just keep me happy...when the service department told me it would be $380, i essentially hung up on them...i have called a few other dealerships in my area and they were considerably less, but still in the range of $250-$300. Because of the quotes i received, i went ahead and serviced the bike per the owner's manual recommendations with the exception of the throttle body sync (or as stated in owner's manual "adjust synchronization of fuel injection system)) and the diagnostic system check.

So related to the above issue, I am looking for feedback on the following questions:

1. How much did you pay for your first 600 mile service if you went to a dealer?
2. Did the 600 mile service require any adjustment to your throttle body? If so, did you get a separate cost for this item?
3. If you had a throttle body sync at the dealer, did you notice a difference afterward?
4. If you performed the throttle body sync yourself, how long did it take to complete?
5. Do i need to worry about having a diagnostic system check if there are no apparent issues with the bike?
6. What type of issue would a diagnostic system check identify that i may not be aware of?

Btw...the dealer i purchased the bike from who is also the one who quoted me the first service cost at $380 said that almost an hour is spent by their service tech when servicing the bike to check and adjust any necessary nuts, bolts, etc for proper torque...the only thing i can thing that i may consider checking is the steering assembly for proper torque...anyone have any thoughts on this issue? Again, I know they are gouging me with the quoted price and, as a result, i'm not giving them any more of my business...but, i would still like to know others opinions on this issues.

Thanks in advance for any help you may provide.

Kevin
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 03-23-2018, 11:29 PM

Damn , long post.. any way you will hear different opinions on this, here is mine, owned 9 bikes carbed and injected..
My 09, is a 14' 17k, never had it synced yet still rides great. I should probably get it done just for peace of mind at some point.
You will know if it needs to be synced, cuz it will start to surge big at low rpm's. At 1/2 to wot, the sync has no effect cuz the butterflies are open. So imo it is not necessary and just a money grab for yamaha dealers, I feel bad for the people that get this done out of fear or lack of information and experience. As for the tst of the services, use your common sense.
And just fyi since it seems you might be new...plugs don't need to be changed at 8k. I replaced mine at 16k and they still looked new. This is another service that is not necessary.
Diagnostic check... that's funny... not needed unless you see an error code on your display.

Sent from my SM-J327P using Tapatalk

Last edited by dvirgil13; 03-23-2018 at 11:31 PM.
post #3 of 4 Old 06-27-2018, 08:16 AM

Got mine done yesterday for $190 after taxes!

post #4 of 4 Old 08-06-2018, 11:04 AM

I'd just change the oil and filter.
Randyt likes this.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Yamaha FZ-09 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in