Tire Pressure - Yamaha FZ-09 Forum
 2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
post #1 of 18 Old 04-04-2014, 08:35 PM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

Garage
Tire Pressure

Ok, manual recommends 36psi front and 42psi rear. What pressure are you actually running?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 Old 04-04-2014, 09:59 PM

36psi front and 42psi rear
post #3 of 18 Old 04-05-2014, 12:24 AM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by harrywz View Post
Ok, manual recommends 36psi front and 42psi rear. What pressure are you actually running?
Sorry, taken in wrong context. What pressure are you currently running in your tires other than the recommended 36, 42? Few riders are running 4 to 6 lbs less.

post #4 of 18 Old 04-05-2014, 02:59 AM

32f, 36r
post #5 of 18 Old 04-05-2014, 03:58 PM

F + 10% & R +20% rule. Using cold temps 30 psi and end up with 33/35 psi hot. Close enough. Too high psi will not produce enough heat in the tire... aka not enough grip. Don't forget the bike barely break the 400 lbs mark... can't use same psi as a Gwing. LOL
post #6 of 18 Old 04-13-2014, 11:10 AM

Cool So Far....

I been running 35f,30-32r,works fine, my fjr i run 39f,32r,i want a wider area to be in contact with the road,i have the fz09 susspention set at 11mm up ft wiyh 3/4 turn in on damping,rear #4 spring pre load and 3/4 turn in on damping,works fine but it has been cold here till this weekend.....
post #7 of 18 Old 04-13-2014, 12:23 PM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluechain View Post
I been running 35f,30-32r,works fine, my fjr i run 39f,32r,i want a wider area to be in contact with the road,i have the fz09 susspention set at 11mm up ft wiyh 3/4 turn in on damping,rear #4 spring pre load and 3/4 turn in on damping,works fine but it has been cold here till this weekend.....
Its been the same here for riding temperature wise. Yesterday I finally got a good ride in. The bike is a "monster", in a good way though. Really fun too ride and too easy to exceed the speed limit.

post #8 of 18 Old 04-14-2014, 04:45 AM

30/30 cold pressures.

Vern Lux
Sportbike Track Time
Southern Region Instructor
post #9 of 18 Old 04-16-2014, 04:02 PM
BAF

I've been 30-32 up front, 32-35 in back.
post #10 of 18 Old 04-17-2014, 02:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by triplethreat View Post
30/30 cold pressures.
Vern:
That psi sounds like track pressure to me, you recommend that psi for the street? Do you just recommend that psi for a specific brand, or model of tire? do you run pressures like that on other bikes, or just the FZ?

What about heat cycling casing the tire to prematurely have a loss in grip, or do you think that's only a problem on the track?

How will those pressures affect tire life, or is that something you aren't concerned with?

Just for reference: I've been riding for over 30 years, dirt bikes, street bikes, supermoto's, and have always run fairly close to the manufacture's recommended settings. I have for around the last 10 years been an aggressive street rider, scrubbing my front and rear tires to the edge on almost all of my bikes, at or near stock psi, with out loosing grip front or rear very often. I am aware that lower psi = a larger footprint, and quicker warm-up.

I always thought the motorcycle manufacturer took into account intended usage when coming up with tire pressures for their bikes, along with the tire manufacturer. Does Dunlop or Bridgestone (or any other manufacturer) have a site where they recommend tire psi based on an individuals usage?

Just trying to get a good idea of why so many people on the FZ forums seem to be running such seemingly low psi's (12 psi less in the rear for cold pressure vs the manuals settings).

Also I have new Michelin PR4's waiting to go on, at the pressure you run I'm not sure the fine sipes on the PR4 would open up completely to do their job? I live in the greater Seattle area, so I need all the damp weather traction I can get.

It's funny that I totally disregarded Yamaha's break-in procedure (used the Motoman method), but I use (or stay close to) their recommended tire psi settings. I will be glad to hear you input on tire psi, along with any references, or web sites you reference.

Thanks, Dave

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Yamaha FZ-09 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in