Riding 2 up - Yamaha FZ-09 Forum
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By Sconnie

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
post #1 of 10 Old 04-21-2014, 09:51 AM Thread Starter

Riding 2 up

Ok,
I'm moving up from a Suzuki TU 250 which has served me well as a starter bike. I'm looking at two VERY different bikes, the FZ-09 and the Triumph Bonneville T 100.

I love the look of both bikes, even though they couldn't be more different, the performance of the FZ is really pulling me that way though. However, one of my big reasons (and partly justification to the "Secretary of The Treasury" aka my wife) for making the upgrade is better 2 up riding. The TU will cart us around town but out of town, no way. I'm not looking to do 500 mile 2 up touring, but maybe a 100 mile or so ride on the weekends.

I weigh 215 and the wife is around 130. I've looked all over the internet for comments about my situation and all I can find are comments from people who are much larger than we are.

So, what do others who have ridden the FZ 2 up around town and on what I'll call "medium" distance rides have to say about using the FZ-09 this way? I'm not concerned about how the power train performs, just the suspension. We won't be carving up canyons (like there are any here in SE WI) 2 up. Just tooling around.

TIA.

Sconnie!

PS, I so want this to be a good option for me, but if its not, then I want to make a smart decision too.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 04-21-2014, 03:31 PM

I've heard some initial complaints about the suspension of the FZ-09, but you guys put together really aren't that heavy. I'd think that most bikes you could choose should have a problem with carrying that much weight. The seat is also supposed to be kinda hard so the Triumph might be more comfortable, but its really nothing that some pretty inexpensive mods could fix.
post #3 of 10 Old 04-21-2014, 04:37 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slurm! View Post
I've heard some initial complaints about the suspension of the FZ-09, but you guys put together really aren't that heavy. I'd think that most bikes you could choose should have a problem with carrying that much weight. The seat is also supposed to be kinda hard so the Triumph might be more comfortable, but its really nothing that some pretty inexpensive mods could fix.
The T100 seat is frequently modded also. Similar comments to the FZ-09. Doesn't suck, but can be made better. I have to admit to allowing my soon to be 48 year old brain be sucked in by the performance of the FZ, and the sexy looks. The Bonnieville isn't an ugly bike either though.....

JW

post #4 of 10 Old 04-21-2014, 05:49 PM

The FZ sucks at a 2 seater. The rear is too small and the passenger pegs are way too high. It's uncomfortable for the passenger to sit with their knees in their chest for more than 10 mins.
post #5 of 10 Old 04-21-2014, 06:56 PM
yfz

I have heard a lot of complaints about riding 2 up like what Wicked1 is reporting.
post #6 of 10 Old 04-21-2014, 09:59 PM Thread Starter

Had the "copilot" at the dealership tonight and we both got on an FZ-09. She liked the seating position. A lot different than being on it for an hour or so and while riding, but I got the green light. She's pretty short and is more "body than legs" so the peg position seemed quite natural for her.

This one was orange, kind of liked it. I'd seen the graphite in person before, but not the orange. I think that any of the colors will work for me. Now I'm looking for the best OTD price that I can get.

JW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wicked1 View Post
The FZ sucks at a 2 seater. The rear is too small and the passenger pegs are way too high. It's uncomfortable for the passenger to sit with their knees in their chest for more than 10 mins.
post #7 of 10 Old 04-22-2014, 01:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sconnie View Post
Had the "copilot" at the dealership tonight and we both got on an FZ-09. She liked the seating position. A lot different than being on it for an hour or so and while riding, but I got the green light. She's pretty short and is more "body than legs" so the peg position seemed quite natural for her.

This one was orange, kind of liked it. I'd seen the graphite in person before, but not the orange. I think that any of the colors will work for me. Now I'm looking for the best OTD price that I can get.

JW

That's great news!
Like I had mentioned in the other forum, two-up is definitely possible- even for longer hours- an with relative comfort. We have done 4-6 hour days together and no significant complaints as compared to any other bike. The wife had pillion tested the bike and approved it before purchase as well.
Get a Airhawk for the lady- and I am sure most discomfort problems will go away.
And get the orange- I waited for it but I couldn't wait any longer so got the graphite last November.
post #8 of 10 Old 04-22-2014, 04:20 PM Thread Starter

Just put a downpayment on a super fast orange one, $8346.79 OTD. Should have it in a few weeks. One of the last 2 that one of the closest Yamaha dealerships will have this year. The other close one told me "they're sold out for the year".

Thanks for the comments, looking forward to it, and I think that I've got the TU sold too.

JW

Quote:
Originally Posted by motorock View Post
That's great news!
Like I had mentioned in the other forum, two-up is definitely possible- even for longer hours- an with relative comfort. We have done 4-6 hour days together and no significant complaints as compared to any other bike. The wife had pillion tested the bike and approved it before purchase as well.
Get a Airhawk for the lady- and I am sure most discomfort problems will go away.
And get the orange- I waited for it but I couldn't wait any longer so got the graphite last November.
motorock likes this.
post #9 of 10 Old 04-22-2014, 06:02 PM
yfz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sconnie View Post
Just put a downpayment on a super fast orange one, $8346.79 OTD. Should have it in a few weeks. One of the last 2 that one of the closest Yamaha dealerships will have this year. The other close one told me "they're sold out for the year".

Thanks for the comments, looking forward to it, and I think that I've got the TU sold too.

JW
Congrats on getting in on time, just imagine if you had waiting longer, you would have to wait till next year!

Can't wait to see pictures of it
post #10 of 10 Old 02-22-2017, 07:45 AM

I'm sorry for digging up an old thread, but i can't find anything else that may help me. Me and my wife are looking into the fz09. We looked at it last year and decided not to get another bike just yet, but this year we're getting one no matter what. We both can't take time off of work for vacation so we think of the bike as our own personal vacation time. We thoroughly enjoy being on it, but the problem is that we like riding for long times. I live in New Jersey about an hour and a half from the shore, and we love driving down to the beach for the day and we love going up to the poconos. I had an fz6r and after the trip down to the shore, we could barely stand. It was awful. I was better than her, but she was not even remotely comfortable. We thought about getting a cruiser but neither one of us really want to make that commitment and lose out on the nimble and fast fun that a sport touring has to offer. The real question is, i'm 6'4", 275. she's 5'7", 125. Are we going to be able to fit on the bike comfortably and for long periods of time without an issue? Any help would be appreciated.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Yamaha FZ-09 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in