How far Can I lean? Newbie question bike specific - Yamaha FZ-09 Forum
 4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
post #1 of 26 Old 04-24-2014, 03:41 PM Thread Starter

How far Can I lean? Newbie question bike specific

Ive had my FZ for awhile now and being a new rider I am trying to judge how far I can lean over safely. I have been messing around in some parking lots and in some traffic circles when there is not traffic, I have only nicked my peg feeler once. I guess my question is after the peg feeler touches how much more lean angle is there left? Im not wanting to go around dragging pegs on every street turn but I would like to have a reference just in case I come into a turn too fast or need to avoid an obstacle. Ive lowsided once due to a little bit of hidden sand in the road but I didnt really get a feel for how far I was laid over before the rear let loose. Does anyone have some suggestions? Is anyone on here regularly dragging their pegs? Any tips for a new rider?

I havent been hanging off any just mainly making sure im being smooth on the throttle and forcing myself to look further down through the turn instead of right in from of me.

Im planning on attending the Cornerspin riding school as soon as I get a break in work.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 26 Old 04-24-2014, 04:10 PM

Depends of too many factors...speed, tires, your weight, the road surface...
Remember that your bike stock is made for the road....not for the track, so basically do not attempt to do the same as MotoGp racer!
Your bike can lean about 55 degree if you want to know!
post #3 of 26 Old 04-24-2014, 04:18 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chromex View Post
Remember that your bike stock is made for the road....not for the track, so basically do not attempt to do the same as MotoGp racer!
hahaha im not trying to go MotoGp! Im 160lbs on the stock tires. I guess what I want to know is say on a good clean section of asphalt on a hot day with proper tire pressure can you drag your peg without losing the back end?

I want to make sure Im not telling myself "oh you can lean further, the peg isnt dragging" when really, I will lose traction before the peg drags.

post #4 of 26 Old 04-24-2014, 04:43 PM

I just wouldn't press your luck since you are a new rider. Better safe than sorry I would think.

Have you considered taking a riding course in order to have some instruction and practice in a safer environment?
post #5 of 26 Old 04-24-2014, 04:54 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mogatu View Post
I just wouldn't press your luck since you are a new rider. Better safe than sorry I would think.

Have you considered taking a riding course in order to have some instruction and practice in a safer environment?
I am going to take the cornerspin class, its offered here in NC. Its basically dirtbike riding with street tires on a dirt course so it allows you to explore traction limits and play with the back end sliding at slow speeds. But it will be probably June or so before I can get in they are currently sold out.

And to clarify im new to street riding and I have been riding dirtbikes since I could walk. But this is all sstill very new to me.
etdb likes this.
post #6 of 26 Old 04-24-2014, 07:03 PM

The bike will allow you to scrub a knee. I think the pegs will scrap before that tho. I haven't had it that low yet. On the street I am timid to lean that far because when you leaning that much it doesn't take a lot to low side because of a tiny bit of sand, gravel, oil, water, painted lines, etc.

Look at triple threats pics in this thread
https://www.fz-09forums.com/forum/201...-giveaway.html

Here is a video of a bike following the fz on a track
korie likes this.

Last edited by obijack; 04-24-2014 at 07:06 PM.
post #7 of 26 Old 04-24-2014, 07:06 PM

Garage
Quote:
Throttle control, suspension and body position too.

Best time to experiment is on a warm day after the tarmac is warmed up. Find an empty lot, lay out a circle at least 50yards in diameter. Place a cone in the center, and ride around in the circle at least 20mph but no more than 40mph. Slowly bring your body into position and begin to lean. Don't lean all the way, just ease into it in increments until your comfortable. As long as your body position is correct and your anchored to the gas tank you should be good.

I just did this at the super bike school, after this exercise i was way more confident leaning into the corners.
post #8 of 26 Old 04-24-2014, 08:20 PM

Living in N.C., you need to come do a track day with us at Sportbike Track Time. I'm an Instructor for them and our Novice class is second to none. We have classroom sessions in between the on track sessions and will give you the basics of riding on a track safely, including a classroom session on body position. The nice thing about STT is that after the classroom sessions are over, you can go out and ride and practice some of the things that you just learned in class on your own.....OR, you can ask for an Instructor to continue working with you.......for the rest of the day if you would like. Check out the website at....
Home and click on the schedule to see where we will be at any given weekend. Lots of good info on there also for bike prep for a track day and specific rules and regs regarding riding gear.

Vern Lux
Sportbike Track Time
Southern Region Instructor
post #9 of 26 Old 04-24-2014, 10:38 PM

Quote:
Pegs touch at that angle????
post #10 of 26 Old 04-24-2014, 10:58 PM

Until you fall off.
korie likes this.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Yamaha FZ-09 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in