Yamahas I3 Future - Yamaha FZ-09 Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
post #1 of 12 Old 02-06-2014, 09:37 PM Thread Starter

Yamahas I3 Future

If you read past articles Yamaha has pretty much stated that once R&D gives to production and racing rules change for I3 based bikes that they're going to move away from I4s.

No doubt the FZ-09 has proven to be a hit and Yamaha has a bright future for themselves.

I own an FZ-6, and the FZ-09 is very appealing, but I'm going to hold out for either a triple R6 or triple FZ-06. One of the primary reasons being I just love ringing out the motor on the FZ-6 and a 675cc I3 would probably provide the low end torque I miss when riding the FZ-6.

Looking forward to Yamahas future!

Last edited by Mr_You; 02-06-2014 at 09:42 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old 02-07-2014, 12:14 AM

Garage
This is something I've been trying to tell folks. Once racing rules tell them to switch to I3's, everything will move in that direction. F1 has taken a similar step switching from v-8's to v-6. Engineers always need new challenges, why not make the do more with less.
post #3 of 12 Old 02-07-2014, 02:40 AM Thread Starter

post #4 of 12 Old 02-07-2014, 04:17 AM

Garage
I remember that article, something that stood out to me most was

"The sheer performance of modern bikes has reached a point at which it's hard to persuade buyers to trade up to the latest model – many find their existing machines are already more than fast enough, so the lure of a handful of extra horses isn't the temptation it was a few years ago."

Considering how much bottom end torque the FZ-09 triple has.. a litre version of the same triple on a R1 sounds kinda scary. But I may end up buying one anyways.

Thanks for finding that article.
post #5 of 12 Old 02-07-2014, 10:52 AM
Super Moderator

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by tunnelvision748 View Post
I remember that article, something that stood out to me most was

"The sheer performance of modern bikes has reached a point at which it's hard to persuade buyers to trade up to the latest model many find their existing machines are already more than fast enough, so the lure of a handful of extra horses isn't the temptation it was a few years ago."

Considering how much bottom end torque the FZ-09 triple has.. a litre version of the same triple on a R1 sounds kinda scary. But I may end up buying one anyways.

Thanks for finding that article.

Problem isn't horsepower, its finding ways to control it. Don't forget, the R1 crossplane crank engine behaves like a 2-3-4 cylinder engine. You have very good compromise with that engine. It has characteristics of all these engines. Yamaha made a big change when traction control was added to the R1, what's lacking is ABS. BMW has got it down pat with their S 1000RR. You can take a half decent racer and make them competitive. The moto gp bikes are just full of electronic goodies. It would be cool to see what can be done using the 850cc triple as a base.

post #6 of 12 Old 02-07-2014, 01:25 PM

Garage
I was more concerned with the bottom end torque curve.. combined with the power of a litre engine sounds like beast
post #7 of 12 Old 02-07-2014, 01:41 PM
yfz

Quote:
I was more concerned with the bottom end torque curve.. combined with the power of a litre engine sounds like beast
Got to love yami's for that, liter yamaha's sound almost better than any bike out their IMO
post #8 of 12 Old 02-07-2014, 04:02 PM

i find it interesting that even automakers are moving into triples now. Mini, ford, mitsubishi, nissan and BMW all have triples on the market or soon to be... I do wonder if there is any leverage to be had for Yamaha, selling triples or the know how to automakers....perhaps...
post #9 of 12 Old 02-07-2014, 07:17 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by mr pharmacist View Post
i find it interesting that even automakers are moving into triples now. Mini, ford, mitsubishi, nissan and BMW all have triples on the market or soon to be... I do wonder if there is any leverage to be had for Yamaha, selling triples or the know how to automakers....perhaps...
Knowing their history, I'm sure Yamaha triple technology will bleed over to Toyota's.
post #10 of 12 Old 02-08-2014, 06:50 PM

Quote:
This is something I've been trying to tell folks. Once racing rules tell them to switch to I3's, everything will move in that direction. F1 has taken a similar step switching from v-8's to v-6. Engineers always need new challenges, why not make the do more with less.
I think F1s are even moving to 4 cylinders now.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Yamaha FZ-09 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in