Hi from central Florida... - Yamaha FZ-09 Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
post #1 of 6 Old 05-09-2015, 09:08 PM Thread Starter

Hi from central Florida...

Hi Folks,
I’m a rider from central Florida. I’ve been doing some research on the FZ-09 so decided to become a member. I’m just over 60 years old and I’ve been riding various bikes over the last 45+ years, but oddly I’ve never owned a Yamaha. My first “big” bike was a brand new 1974 Honda CB750, and my current ride is a 2007 Suzuki SV650N that I picked up from a dealer about seven years ago when it only had 198 miles. I like my SV, but I’ve had to do some tinkering with the seat along with handlebar risers to make it comfortable. Nonetheless, I’ve got a craving for a new bike and the FZ is looking more and more like a good choice. Currently I’m trying to sell my SV (since I don’t ride enough to justify and maintain two bikes) plus I need to do a demo ride on both the FZ and the new FJ in order to make a buying decision.

I’ve sat on both the FZ and FJ, and the FZ seems to have the right seat / pegs / handlebar ergonomics for my 5’ 10” 165 lb frame, but I would also say that the FJ would be more comfortable for extended riding. But I like naked bikes and the FJ just seems to have a larger feel of a bike than I want...but that seat on the FZ really does suck. Just sitting on the showroom floor I find myself sliding into the tank.

Anyway, here is a video I made a few years back on my SV...Kind regards....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rh5Mad3EcY4

Last edited by Spacecoast; 05-09-2015 at 09:12 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 05-10-2015, 02:55 PM

Hi, I'm in Daytona, just got my 09. Took me 55 years of riding 50+ bikes 4 continents to become worthy. I ever you are near the Cabbage patch on 415 Sunday mornings 9am KSU, we have a very eclectic group. Hand shifters to Beemers to Triumphs to Japanese.
Nope seat doesn't suck, you have to life with it. The FZ is just such an amazing machine!
post #3 of 6 Old 05-11-2015, 01:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spacecoast View Post
Hi Folks,
Iím a rider from central Florida. Iíve been doing some research on the FZ-09 so decided to become a member. Iím just over 60 years old and Iíve been riding various bikes over the last 45+ years, but oddly Iíve never owned a Yamaha. My first ďbigĒ bike was a brand new 1974 Honda CB750, and my current ride is a 2007 Suzuki SV650N that I picked up from a dealer about seven years ago when it only had 198 miles. I like my SV, but Iíve had to do some tinkering with the seat along with handlebar risers to make it comfortable. Nonetheless, Iíve got a craving for a new bike and the FZ is looking more and more like a good choice. Currently Iím trying to sell my SV (since I donít ride enough to justify and maintain two bikes) plus I need to do a demo ride on both the FZ and the new FJ in order to make a buying decision.

Iíve sat on both the FZ and FJ, and the FZ seems to have the right seat / pegs / handlebar ergonomics for my 5í 10Ē 165 lb frame, but I would also say that the FJ would be more comfortable for extended riding. But I like naked bikes and the FJ just seems to have a larger feel of a bike than I want...but that seat on the FZ really does suck. Just sitting on the showroom floor I find myself sliding into the tank.

Anyway, here is a video I made a few years back on my SV...Kind regards....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rh5Mad3EcY4

If you have rode for that many years like some of us then you should really know about some bad seats. I really don't think the seat is that bad, but the FZ09 was not made to ride straight line for long times, it is more enjoyable when your moving around hanging off the seat some.

post #4 of 6 Old 05-12-2015, 07:57 AM Thread Starter

My past bikes....
125cc Jawa
Honda CB 350
Honda CB 750
Honda V65 Sabre
Never had an issue with the seat on any of those bikes...but I was younger too.

Suzuki Intruder 1400 (had to increase the seat height by 2"...the low seat height was hurting my back...it was an excellent seat after that)
Suzuki SV 650N (Suzuki gel seat...but still too hard)
post #5 of 6 Old 05-14-2015, 06:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vitesse View Post
Hi, I'm in Daytona, just got my 09. Took me 55 years of riding 50+ bikes 4 continents to become worthy. I ever you are near the Cabbage patch on 415 Sunday mornings 9am KSU...
What is KSU?
We have a group that meets @ 8 am Sundays at the McDonald's on Rock Springs Road in Apopka....Lake County and beyond are the usual destinations.
I've had my 09 exactly one year tomorrow, just over 6,000 miles on that baby!
post #6 of 6 Old 05-14-2015, 09:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobZ View Post
What is KSU?
We have a group that meets @ 8 am Sundays at the McDonald's on Rock Springs Road in Apopka....Lake County and beyond are the usual destinations.
I've had my 09 exactly one year tomorrow, just over 6,000 miles on that baby!
Kick Stands UP. I just did my 600 mile service.WOWZER!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Yamaha FZ-09 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in