2 problems with FZ-09 - Page 2 - Yamaha FZ-09 Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
post #11 of 33 Old 06-12-2014, 10:40 PM

The CCT failing to automatically adjust (and perhaps even backing off) is a very common issue with this bike. Yamaha is on its third iteration of the CCT. It seems that many people are experiencing long delays in getting the replacement part, plus there are varied experiences with their dealers regarding warranty coverage. I am sure that you can find several threads about this issue on this and other FZ forums.

You will find that many FZ owners are fed up with Yamaha and some of the dealers and they have made their own remedy. They remove the cap bolt from the CCT body and adjust the CCT with the bike warmed up and running (using a 3 mm hex key). You can feel the vibration more easily than hearing it. They turn the CCT in slowly and just enough to remove the vibration that they feel through the wrench......some do a further check with the bike revving to about 3000 rpm because this is where the chain slack and noise is most noticeable. Once the vibration is gone they shut off the engine and either replace the cap bolt with a longer bolt or a set screw, and turn it in finger tight against the back of the CCT. They lock it in place by threading a nut tight against the body of the CCT. Many have done this but Yamaha reportedly frowns on it - it is likely because of the potential for cranking the CCT in too far and stressing the chain and other components of the cam drive.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 33 Old 06-13-2014, 10:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Motard View Post
Hey guys, so I have about 1100 miles on my 09, and I have found 2 issues.

One- loud rattling coming from headlight assembly while going over bumps. Its seems like its getting louder. Maybe its just me.

But the second issue has been going on, randomly, since I bought it. I have been riding Dirtbikes, atvs, atcs, and pretty much anything with a motor since I can remember. So at first I thought it was me. But today riding in the city the bike did it again. Stalled out completely when coming to a stop light. I pulled in the clutch, started braking, down shifted to 1st and the bike stalled out. It happened to me last week on a ride and once when I was in bumper to bumper traffic waiting for a accident to clear. I cannot recreate it though. Completely random and well....annoying. It almost feels like the idle isn't high enough of something.

anyone else having these problems?
I disassembled my headlight and put it back on and i forgot a small little lip in the middle that slides in AND then you bolt it down. Maybe your dealer overlooked that small detail?
post #13 of 33 Old 06-15-2014, 08:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by peter's fz09 View Post
I have same problem. I had my fz for 2 weeks with about 400 miles on it and so far died on me twice. Pulled up to stop lights bike was in neutral. when light turn to green I shifted into 1st and bike died. It happened again week later. I can not recreate the problem. Took it back to dealer. Service made some adjustments to computer. Will see how it goes.
Bike died again 3rd time withni in 570 mil

post #14 of 33 Old 06-15-2014, 11:14 AM

Hey man are you 100% sure its coming from the headlight assembly? I swear I was hearing a very similar sound, but last night I think I figured it out. For me it was little rocks kicking up from the tire on to the radiator.

Sent from Motorcycle.com App
post #15 of 33 Old 06-15-2014, 03:57 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by onthemove View Post
Hey man are you 100% sure its coming from the headlight assembly? I swear I was hearing a very similar sound, but last night I think I figured it out. For me it was little rocks kicking up from the tire on to the radiator.

Sent from Motorcycle.com App
Im 100%, today on a bumpy city road sounds like something is bouncing all around inside the headlight assembly when I hit holes and uneven pavement.

As for the stalling, I did a 100 mile veterans ride, and a bunch of around town stop and goes. Cant recreate the stalling issue. This is killing me
post #16 of 33 Old 06-18-2014, 06:32 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by onthemove View Post
I have just hit 250 miles on my fz09 and I have these EXACT same 2 issues. The rattling I hear coming from the front, but never pinpointed it (only hear it when idle cruising down my ally over bumps). The stalling issue happened once the first day riding, coming to a stop, and once the second day. Hasn't happened since. I'll be saying something to my dealer when I take it in for its 600 mile service.
onthemove...CHECK YOUR FRONT CALIPERS!!!!!!..after talking with the dealer and getting no where except them wanting to leave the bike there when it was my source of transportation, I was rolling to a stop and just gently hit my front brakes.... heard a knock but the same sound as the rattle. Got to work looked at the front wheel and 2 bolts on my right caliper where backed out over ONE INCH!!!!!!...I was pissed since I just got the bike back from the dealer for the 1st tune-up and they charged me Almost $300 for a oil change and to "check" all the bolts... All they really did was change the oil (if that) and take my bike for a 10 mile ride.

Called the dealer and chewed them a new @ss and they now want me to bring it back so they can "look over it" again. HA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
post #17 of 33 Old 06-18-2014, 08:03 PM

Quote:
onthemove...CHECK YOUR FRONT CALIPERS!!!!!!..after talking with the dealer and getting no where except them wanting to leave the bike there when it was my source of transportation, I was rolling to a stop and just gently hit my front brakes.... heard a knock but the same sound as the rattle. Got to work looked at the front wheel and 2 bolts on my right caliper where backed out over ONE INCH!!!!!!...I was pissed since I just got the bike back from the dealer for the 1st tune-up and they charged me Almost $300 for a oil change and to "check" all the bolts... All they really did was change the oil (if that) and take my bike for a 10 mile ride.

Called the dealer and chewed them a new @ss and they now want me to bring it back so they can "look over it" again. HA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Careful, they are trying to cover tracks now. They obviously did not check it, and now are worried about what will result if you complain further. I would, that is what we pay for the service from an authorised dealer for, to have the work carried out correctly, for you to feel safe because the bike is safe. Doubt they rode it for 10 miles either, that is a bloody long ride. Would be more like around the block. I have seen a test ride after service, took 2 minutes.

By the way $300 dollars is about 2 times too much for a first service. I am in Australia, and we get ripped on everything we pay for. And even my first service only cost $179 from my Yamaha dealer.
post #18 of 33 Old 06-18-2014, 08:28 PM
Super Moderator

Garage
Quote:

You should remove these bolts again and use blue Loctite on the threads and then fasten them again. This is what is supposed to be done in factory.

I would go back to the dealer and demand a partial refund as the work was not done properly. The amount you will have to negotiate. Remember that Yamaha will send you a survey sheet to fill out for first service, remind dealer of this.

post #19 of 33 Old 06-18-2014, 08:53 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poogamer69 View Post
Careful, they are trying to cover tracks now. They obviously did not check it, and now are worried about what will result if you complain further. I would, that is what we pay for the service from an authorised dealer for, to have the work carried out correctly, for you to feel safe because the bike is safe. Doubt they rode it for 10 miles either, that is a bloody long ride. Would be more like around the block. I have seen a test ride after service, took 2 minutes.

By the way $300 dollars is about 2 times too much for a first service. I am in Australia, and we get ripped on everything we pay for. And even my first service only cost $179 from my Yamaha dealer.
It was 10 miles...recorded miles 687 on turn in and when I got it back I was looking at 697. I'm going to have a nice long talk with the manager when I get there tomorrow
post #20 of 33 Old 06-19-2014, 03:40 AM

That has to be the longest test ride ever. Thats 16km..........longer than my trip to work!!!

I forgot about that survey sheet also. Just got mine in the mail 2 days, first service was 2 months back. Definitely state these things on that sheet.

If no luck with the dealer, contact Yamaha direct. The service you received is pretty shitty, and that price is way too high.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Yamaha FZ-09 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in