Usually any kind of "short" will either burn the wire up or blow a fuse. I always keep my battery on a tender when not riding, but I also check every once in a while the status of the charging system just so I know I'm not using the battery to keep the bike running. If you have a multi-meter...and a charger, use them. To be safe, start by charging the battery off the bike, but use the correct charger. No more than two amps and use a smart charger..one that will drop down to a maintenance charging status once the battery is charged. Over-charging is bad. Then do what I advised above. The video is good to understand how to do a draw test.