Dash error - 3 weeks after installing new battery - Yamaha FZ-09 Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
post #1 of 22 Old 05-27-2015, 01:26 PM Thread Starter

Dash error - 3 weeks after installing new battery

So i replaced my battery a few weeks ago aft the stock one died on me, bike was fine for a few weeks. I was riding it to work every day. I went to get on it after 4days of no use and it wont start. The dash powers up fine, but i when i turn it over i get a buzzing noise and vibration in a fuze box located behind the battery under the seat. The hum remains until i turn the ignition off. The dash displays an error (see attachment).

Any ideas what this could be? Is it a drained battery? Is something fried a blown fuze perhaps? Im not overly mechanical, so any help appreciated in diagnosing the issue.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20150527_090043.jpg (83.6 KB, 21 views)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 Old 05-27-2015, 05:03 PM

Sounds like you have an excessive electrical draw while bike is not in use...or a charging issue. Two dead batteries on a new bike...no way. Remove the battery and charge it...once charged reinstall and see if the bike starts. If it does, then take a reading while bike idles...it should read about 14..to 14.5 volts. If it does, shut the bike off and take an amp-pull reading with everything turned off. (the buzz is probably the solenoid trying to work with an weak electrical current)
post #3 of 22 Old 05-27-2015, 05:16 PM Thread Starter

thanks mate will do.. its very strange.

post #4 of 22 Old 05-27-2015, 05:27 PM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KF1gijj03_0

By the way, did you add any electrical components? If so, are they running when the bike is shut off?
post #5 of 22 Old 05-27-2015, 05:39 PM Thread Starter

The only thing i added about 6mths ago was a usb port.. Which i very rarely use.. Other then that i added the connectors for the battery maintainer.. which is connected to the battery, but ive yet to use it to charge the battery.

When i connected the new battery could i have done something that would cause this? Im pretty certain i connected it all up as it was before hand.
post #6 of 22 Old 05-27-2015, 05:45 PM Thread Starter

I did leave the keys in in the ignition in the off position.. I dont think they were in the lock position, but the electrics were turned off. Would this be a cause?
post #7 of 22 Old 05-27-2015, 05:46 PM

Usually any kind of "short" will either burn the wire up or blow a fuse. I always keep my battery on a tender when not riding, but I also check every once in a while the status of the charging system just so I know I'm not using the battery to keep the bike running. If you have a multi-meter...and a charger, use them. To be safe, start by charging the battery off the bike, but use the correct charger. No more than two amps and use a smart charger..one that will drop down to a maintenance charging status once the battery is charged. Over-charging is bad. Then do what I advised above. The video is good to understand how to do a draw test.
post #8 of 22 Old 05-27-2015, 05:48 PM

Quote:
I did leave the keys in in the ignition in the off position.. I dont think they were in the lock position, but the electrics were turned off. Would this be a cause?
No...as long as you are correct that the electrics were off. Some bikes have "parking lights" depending on how far you turn the key.
post #9 of 22 Old 05-27-2015, 05:49 PM

Quote:
When i connected the new battery could i have done something that would cause this? Im pretty certain i connected it all up as it was before hand.
Did the new battery get the proper full charge before it was put into service? I still think its the bike. Again, start by getting the battery charged...assuming it will take the charge. If it will, and it's able to start the bike, then you can validate if the bike is sending the proper charge when running, or if its draining the battery when running. If its charging the battery when running, then the next question is "what's going on when the bike is shut-down". If there is no excessive draw, then have the battery load tested after its fully charged again.

Last edited by Spacecoast; 05-27-2015 at 05:54 PM.
post #10 of 22 Old 05-27-2015, 06:05 PM

The only other issue is a loose or poor battery connection. I always take some fine sandpaper and clean all contact areas. Then connect the + and... connect the - last. Doing just the opposite can result in a tool touching the frame (- side) while at the same time touching the + side of the battery...makes lots of sparks and possible battery explosion.

Last edited by Spacecoast; 05-27-2015 at 06:08 PM.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Yamaha FZ-09 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in