Headlight Flickering - Yamaha FZ-09 Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
post #1 of 7 Old 06-28-2015, 08:11 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Headlight Flickering

First off I've been to the dealership quite some time ago for the headlight recall. Recently The bike has developed a random flickering headlight. Usually when I come to a stop. I replaced the bulb with a cree led which worked fine except I didn't have it properly aimed so I wasn't getting the total benefit from it. So I bought a tripage. The instant I hooked that tripage led up I noticed a flickering due to vibration. Kind of like an old tv, how you would have to move the rabbit ears to tune to the channel, and as soon as you got it sat down. It would go out of wack again. Same thing very random, and elusive.

So last night I replaced the tripage with the cree led light, and the flickering is still there. One thing I noticed is when it flickers the high beam light on the cluster will flash as if the light is trying to flip to high beam but can't so it drops off to black instead. I checked all of my connections, and everything is tight. So this has been a real head scratcher for me. Anyone have any clue of what this might be?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 06-29-2015, 03:43 PM

Sounds like bad wiring, does it do it with a OEM style bulb? If it does take the bike back to the stealership and have them correct their work.

2015 FZ-09 - The faster silver one
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 7 Old 06-30-2015, 05:21 AM

^^This^^.

If you're familiar with the 'procedure' Yami dealers are using for the headlight recall, I'd say it's highly likely it's a botched rewiring job. Maybe try it with the stock Halogen bulb and if it still does it, I agree with returning it to the dealer that hacked into your stock harness and have them correct their work. Good luck, hope you get it sorted out...

post #4 of 7 Old 06-30-2015, 04:20 PM Thread Starter

Garage
I'll try that out thanks for the help. I'll let you know how it turns out.
post #5 of 7 Old 07-31-2015, 03:31 AM

LEDs can do a great job, but they need different focusing optics than conventional light bulbs. The headlight reflector needs to be designed to match the light source that is being used. You can't put any other bulb in there, be it an LED or a bulb with a filament and get the intended result, unless the new source is positioned in the same place as the original, and also disburses light around the reflector in the same way as the bulb for which the reflector was designed. That means that it is unlikely that a drop-in LED replacement bulb will yield the same results as the original bulb, unless the LED manufacturer can simulate the optical characteristics of the original bulb precisely, which due to the heat sinking requirements of high power LEDs, and the fact that LEDs emit light out of only one side, as opposed to all around like a light bulb filament, will be very difficult.
post #6 of 7 Old 07-31-2015, 04:12 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Actually I prefer the led to the standard bulb. It's more white, and casts a stronger beam. As it turned out. The problem was that when I did what I thought was my due diligent duty by having my local shop perform the headlight recall work. They did a horrible job. The grounding wire was barely touching it's intended pin. So I had to take the plug apart and reattach the wires to their pins. After that I decided they will never do anything to my bikes again. Just because they wear a mechanics uniform, doesn't mean they are.
post #7 of 7 Old 07-31-2015, 09:40 AM

When the shops do the headlight recall work, they "cut" the OEM harness and then wire in a new plug. Really stupid, A much better option is to purchase the headlight pigtail extension, available over the internet, which extends the wiring and problem solved.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Yamaha FZ-09 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in