FZ-09 down! clutch issues - Yamaha FZ-09 Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
post #1 of 5 Old 02-14-2016, 01:06 AM Thread Starter

FZ-09 down! clutch issues

hey all, I have been reading in this forum for a bit now but have just started posting.

I went down on my FZ-09 the other day and my clutch hasnt been the same. ill try to quickly go through the story of my crash and my issues.

THE CRASH:
I was just coming out of a right hand corner that I have taken safely many times. only this time, as I am coming around the bend there is a patch of sand in the middle of the road for some reason that I could not avoid. I felt my tire slip out as I hit it and down I went. I got a bit of road rash on my knees and elbows despite safety gear but overall was not bad, just a bruised ego.

my bike took a small beating although it seems all cosmetic. right blinker bulb broke, brake lever snapped off, handle bar cap is scrapped up, the plastic piece on the tank is scratched and a few chips in the pain on the tank. the clutch cover and oil pump cover is also scratched and my spool snapped off.

THE ISSUE:
after the crash i drove it home and my clutch seemed to engage as soon as i started to release the lever instead of having a degree of play in it before it would engage.

also, sometimes it would be hard to shift gears.

when the bike is off, and in gear, there is some resistance when i try to walk the bike around with the clutch lever pulled in. when i shift into neutral and walk the bike around there is no issues.

my question is this:
do you think the clutch cable just got knocked out of wack in the crash or do you think it is something internal?

im assuming this is because the clutch cable got out of wack in the accident? i have read posts on how to adjust the clutch cable but have yet to attempt it. im also going to attempt to replace the clutch cover and oil pump cover and have been doing research. just wanted some opinions before i started purchasing parts and started wrenching.

THANKS!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20160210_110548.jpg (100.4 KB, 22 views)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 02-14-2016, 10:19 PM

Garage
Try adjusting it first. It's pretty straight forward. Either at the lever or down on the engine. The clutch cable holder on the engine case isn't the most well built piece either. It might have been bent or just jarred loose, your case is scratched pretty good around that area.

One thing I have on all my bikes is frame sliders. Some people think is BS but they stick out pretty far to help with your engine cases not grinding into the highway. There's different types out there but I have RG's on 3 bikes. R&G Racing Aero Frame Sliders Yamaha FZ-09 / FJ-09 - RevZilla

Don't be afraid to tinker around with it either. Better to learn it in your garage then along side of the road.

'11 Ducati Streetfighter S
'13 Triumph Street Triple R
'12 Triumph Bonneville
'10 BMW F800GS
'13 Yamaha FZ-09
'76 Honda cafe
'76 Honda cafe
post #3 of 5 Old 02-15-2016, 02:04 AM Thread Starter

thanks for the info. i adjusted my cable today and everything SEEMS normal. it goes into gear smoothly, shifts gears fine. i dont notice any difference when i ride it.

my only questions is,
when i parked it in my garage, i turned the motorcycle off and walked it into its space. when i walk it around with the clutch lever pulled in (while in gear) i feel a little resistance. when i shift it into neutral it moves freely.

is that normal? i thought holding the clutch lever in would completely disengage the clutch and there would be no resistance. or do i need to adjust more?
thanks!

oh yea, and im looking into frame sliders now. hindsight is 20/20

post #4 of 5 Old 02-15-2016, 07:43 AM

Awful stuff sand, gravel, oul, antifreeze in a corner. was stopped at a light yesterday looked over and not 5 ft. from me was a gravel spill , hard to see as it was the same colour as the surface. Thankfully our bikes are lightish. I'm going to PR3 or 4s once the Battle-axes we out, I'm at 7000 on the rear, a little further to go. The clutch as mentioned it very straight forward. Let us know if it's sorted.
One thing I have noticed, when first start up pull the clutch in roll the bike backwards and then shift into first. What a difference, no clunk.
post #5 of 5 Old 02-15-2016, 09:54 PM

Garage
You will feel a little resistance than normal, it's a wet clutch so the clutch is sitting in all that oil that's not moving.

'11 Ducati Streetfighter S
'13 Triumph Street Triple R
'12 Triumph Bonneville
'10 BMW F800GS
'13 Yamaha FZ-09
'76 Honda cafe
'76 Honda cafe

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Yamaha FZ-09 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in