Clutch slipping? - Yamaha FZ-09 Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
post #1 of 3 Old 08-21-2016, 04:33 AM Thread Starter

Clutch slipping?

I've rode multiple bikes with a clutch that slips bad. I just got a new tire for my fz09 at about 9.9k miles. It's a Michelin pilot power 3. This thing sucks, tire slips around turns any throttle on a corner and you slide. So at about 5-9k rpm it feels like it just revs up then grabs and goes, not like a crazy slip but like the tire is spinning ever so slightly then warming up and grabbing. But I've noticed when sitting in 1st gear and revving it up at about 8k the bike lurches forwards. In 2nd gear at about 8k Rpm you can full throttle it and it feels like either the tire is spinning or the clutch slips and same for the rest of the gears. Sometimes even in 6th just cruising at about 4K rpm I can full throttle it and get it to rev up 2k rpm for a little til either the tire grabs or clutch grabs. So not sure if this tire just isn't meant for street or what. Riding temps are about 60-90 worse when cold which makes me think it's the tire, but it does it in 6th gear at like 4k Rpms which doesn't have much grunt to spin a tire. I have about 2k miles on it and it's pretty much bald. I am not nice at all to this bike. Clutch ups, rolling burnouts, drags and trail riding. Oil isn't cloudy and doesn't smell at all like clutch. Any input would be nice.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old 08-23-2016, 01:21 AM

There is absolutely no way you are spinning the rear tire at 4K rpm in 6th gear. It's the clutch.
post #3 of 3 Old 05-10-2017, 11:05 AM

Have you checked the free play in the cable, if it's slightly too tight you will get slippage.

2016-Akra full exhaust-K&N filter-Vcyclenut flash-Graves block off plates-shorty levers-billet rear sets-Rizoma front reservoir cover-billet rear reservoir-Evotech rad guard-Antigravity battery-LED front signals-LED rear light with sequential signals-Yoshi fender eliminator-Evotech pillion removal kit-Driven Racing Halo gas cap-Spiegler front and rear braided brake lines-Rizoma bars-K Tech shock-KT Moto Halo headlight-Gilles adjustable risers

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Yamaha FZ-09 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in