to get service or not.. thats the question - Yamaha FZ-09 Forum
 2Likes
  • 2 Post By harrywz

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
post #1 of 7 Old 06-13-2014, 11:34 PM Thread Starter

to get service or not.. thats the question

Hey everyone, I just broke 1k on the 09. gone through two oil changes. Should i take it in for its first service? or can i just do it myself? Ive been riding dirt bikes for years now and i have some knowledge on how to do things. everything else is just a google away.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 06-14-2014, 02:58 PM

No. Unless you don't know what you're doing OR you have a ton of $$$.
post #3 of 7 Old 06-14-2014, 08:02 PM
Super Moderator

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthew View Post
Hey everyone, I just broke 1k on the 09. gone through two oil changes. Should i take it in for its first service? or can i just do it myself? Ive been riding dirt bikes for years now and i have some knowledge on how to do things. everything else is just a google away.
What you do is buy your supplies from your Yamaha dealer and keep the receipts during the first year. This way you can prove that you have been using the proper oil and filter during the warranty period if you do your own oil changes.

post #4 of 7 Old 06-14-2014, 08:45 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by harrywz View Post
What you do is buy your supplies from your Yamaha dealer and keep the receipts during the first year. This way you can prove that you have been using the proper oil and filter during the warranty period if you do your own oil changes.
That's what I do. But what about coolant and other stuff they check during that check up.
post #5 of 7 Old 06-14-2014, 08:59 PM
Super Moderator

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthew View Post
That's what I do. But what about coolant and other stuff they check during that check up.
Just make sure that coolant is between lines. Check clutch lever for adequate free play, tires for air pressure and condition, brakes check thickness pads and make sure they release, drive chain tension and adjust rear tire if you adjust chain, look for loose nuts/bolts, seat make sure it is seated properly, check steering stem play. These things are usually what is checked.

Poogamer69 and FZ9SEA like this.
post #6 of 7 Old 06-18-2015, 03:36 AM

What about valve inspection? I can do it myself.. im not sure if it's worth the time under the tank with these bullet proof yamaha valve train. Someone fill me in or point me toward amother thread. If no one has had issues im going to skip the inspection. I did do the hard dyno break in..
post #7 of 7 Old 06-19-2015, 03:44 PM

Quote:
What about valve inspection?
I think when I read the manual it was to be checked/done at 16K miles

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Yamaha FZ-09 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in