K&N air and oil filter? - Yamaha FZ-09 Forum
 1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
post #1 of 12 Old 08-10-2014, 10:25 AM Thread Starter

K&N air and oil filter?

Has anyone used the K&N filter? if so how is it?

While we are on the topic has anyone found an air filter by K&N?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old 08-10-2014, 04:39 PM

As far as I know only DNA has a filter for the FZ09 and they're not cheap! I found some in the UKs and end up ordering 2 just because shipping was expensive. I have a spare one...
post #3 of 12 Old 08-11-2014, 11:12 AM

Whats wrong with the OEM filtre. There put a lot of effort into getting the airbox to sound right with different length snorkles. Might they not have designed it with sufficient flow too?

post #4 of 12 Old 08-11-2014, 11:37 AM
Super Moderator

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by SIMMY View Post
Whats wrong with the OEM filtre. There put a lot of effort into getting the airbox to sound right with different length snorkles. Might they not have designed it with sufficient flow too?
Lots Simmy. Actually the advantage with a K&N filter is that they are usually a stock OEM fit, less dense material that allows better airflow and with the oil it re usable for many years. The only bad thing is you require a change to your air/fuel mixture to make up for the leaner mixture so in comes the power commander.

Marthy likes this.
post #5 of 12 Old 08-11-2014, 12:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by harrywz View Post
Lots Simmy. Actually the advantage with a K&N filter is that they are usually a stock OEM fit, less dense material that allows better airflow and with the oil it re usable for many years. The only bad thing is you require a change to your air/fuel mixture to make up for the leaner mixture so in comes the power commander.
The only time you might need more fuel is at top end when efficiency is most needed... but the 09 run a bit fat on top already. Even with a full exhaust there's no need for more fuel on top, mid range is a different story. I won't bother tuning for a air filter change only.

Better or not? For me it's the convenience of cleaning it and putting in back in, cheaper on the long run.
post #6 of 12 Old 08-11-2014, 03:43 PM

I've seen many graphs of the hp gains from a K&N. It's always way up top where no street engine spends much of its time. Not legally anyway. The oil impregnated filtre media thing kinda looks to me like the system Briggs and Stratton gave up on as being old school years back. Just call me a non believer. Always been perfectly happy with the paper.
post #7 of 12 Old 08-11-2014, 04:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SIMMY View Post
I've seen many graphs of the hp gains from a K&N. It's always way up top where no street engine spends much of its time. Not legally anyway. The oil impregnated filtre media thing kinda looks to me like the system Briggs and Stratton gave up on as being old school years back. Just call me a non believer. Always been perfectly happy with the paper.
My last Indycar year as a mechanic was 2009, Indycar were still using a K&N about the size of a AC home air filter and using oil. It's not primitive, just too expensive to put on production car/truck & bikes.

I tough I had a picture of the airbox open, can't find it. Honda were giving us a new air filter every race weekend... If a small one is about 50.00 I can't imagine the price of those big one...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Dallara08 008.jpg (326.3 KB, 37 views)
post #8 of 12 Old 08-11-2014, 07:23 PM

K&N are over-hyped. Not impressed.
post #9 of 12 Old 08-12-2014, 06:20 PM

If you Google K/N air filters you will find links that say they not only flow more air but more dirt also. Several folks have had oil analysis that reveal a sharp rise in silicon (dirt) levels in the oil.
If you Google K/N oil filters you will also find lots of links about the low quality of the media and poor manufacturing. The nut on the end of filter is nice for removing it, but not worth the xtra bucks. "IMHO" for what its worth.
post #10 of 12 Old 08-12-2014, 09:00 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by quicksilver View Post
If you Google K/N air filters you will find links that say they not only flow more air but more dirt also. Several folks have had oil analysis that reveal a sharp rise in silicon (dirt) levels in the oil.
If you Google K/N oil filters you will also find lots of links about the low quality of the media and poor manufacturing. The nut on the end of filter is nice for removing it, but not worth the xtra bucks. "IMHO" for what its worth.
I had a K&N in my SV650s, i just like that i can remove and clean then reinstall.

The oil filters are nice that its an easy bolt removal, I bought a oil filter wrench that had teeth on it. and two or three adjustable sizes. Like channel locks. I found that removing the oil filter, i have to puncture it with the teeth. Ive been using yamalube and yamaha's filter (what the dealer gives me)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Yamaha FZ-09 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in