Wanting suggestions for fluids... - Page 2 - Yamaha FZ-09 Forum
 1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
post #11 of 16 Old 10-11-2013, 07:48 PM
yfz

Quote:
Originally Posted by humgha View Post
oil is an eternal debate.

motul seems to be well reviewed on many websites i frequent.
From what i hear, it's Rotella and Motul, more so the Rotella.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 16 Old 10-12-2013, 12:54 PM

If and when you want to go to a full synthetic, Mobil 1 15W-50 is hard to beat. No friction modifiers in it and if you buy it at Walmart, you can get the 5 qt. jug for $24.99 which comes out to $5/qt. I've been using it in all my bikes...street, track, etc for about 8 years with absolutely NO engine issues.
post #13 of 16 Old 12-27-2014, 08:32 PM

The easy answer is to use an oil that meets the specified API rating, and also carries the JASO MA rating, as for viscosity, use the range that suits the climate as per the chart in the manual.
As we are dealing in multigrade oils only, then there are some benefits with synthetic based oil. They don't use viscosity index improvers in them, like mineral based oils do. Since it is these improvers that break down and cause loss of oil viscosity, then synthetics are a more viscosity stable oil.
The use of a good mineral based oil will provide very good performance. The key is to change oil as per schedule, or more often if you use the bike hard. In general, stick to a known good brand. A good mineral oil may well be better than a dodgy synthetic oil.
While on the subject of synthetic oils, we should be aware that in many countries, oil companies are allowed to sell their hydrocracked mineral oils under a synthetic oil. If you do really want a synthetic, it might be worthwhile doing some homework and finding out if the oil is a group 3 or group 4. Group 3 are hydrocracked mineral oils, while group 4 are proper synthetic oils.
In times gone by, we used to be able to use car oils with no drama. There was one documented study done on a Fireblade using GTX oil. It used this oil for 500'000klm, with very little loss of power. It was measured on a dyne at intervals during this time. These days, car oils are all about low friction and low fuel consumption. This is why we need to avoid them these days, or at least read their specs carefully. It has been the use of these oils that has seen a number of transmission failures in recent years.
Oh, and while I think of it, if you do lots of short trips, you will need to change your oil more often. The combustion process is just a very aggressive chemical reaction. In the air we have some oxygen. The fuel is a chain of hydrogen and carbon, and in some cases like E10 it will also have some oxygen in it too. Part of that normal combustion process is to bond some of the hydrogen and oxygen together, forming water. If we factor in some of the high sulphur contents in some fuels on the market, then we have H2OSO4 formed, or sulphuric acid, or battery acid if you like. This builds up in the crankcase. Oils have a buffer agent in their additive package to help protect against this, but when we do lots of short trips the water is never boiled out of the oil, and so it will build up to a level that the buffers won't be able to protect the engine components.

post #14 of 16 Old 12-27-2014, 11:59 PM

+1 for the rotella. Been using it forever. I've got 190,000 km on my goldwing and its still humming along. Been on a diet of rotella since 2004. Use it in just about every bike I service. Usually get it at Walmart. Use the Bosch 3300 oil filtre from the same place. It fits a lot of bikes
post #15 of 16 Old 12-28-2014, 12:54 AM

These pics are of the camshaft lobes of an old Subaru I had. It was the family hack, everyone drove it. I took these pics at 320'000klm. For about 220'000klm it had just run on everyday Castrol Magnetec. I thought it was a pretty good indication of how good mineral oils can work. Even on the high load areas of the cam nose, there is very little evidence of any wear.
By the looks, the link to Flickr don't work. If you right click and open in a new tab they should open.

Last edited by colinlinz; 12-28-2014 at 12:58 AM.
post #16 of 16 Old 12-28-2014, 01:04 AM

While I was looking for the previous photos, I found these that some of you might find interesting. It is from Honda, but it is true across the board.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Yamaha FZ-09 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in