Wanting suggestions for fluids... - Yamaha FZ-09 Forum
 1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
post #1 of 16 Old 10-07-2013, 08:59 PM Thread Starter

Wanting suggestions for fluids...

Hello All,

I'm new to owning a bike, yet I've ridden for years. I'm wondering what you all would suggest for engine oil after I reach the first 600mi...also what brand air filter you would recommend.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 Old 10-08-2013, 05:06 PM

Rotella is what i used, it's really good stuff, well worth it. Not sure what grade of oil the FZ09 calls for though.
Marthy likes this.

Ride, eat, sleep...repeat.
post #3 of 16 Old 10-08-2013, 05:27 PM

In the manual the FZ09 will take any oil depending on anticipated ambient temperature range so it is not one of those finicky bikes that is recommended to take only one grade of oil or some weird grade or specifying synthetic. So the baseline oil is Yammalube regular dino 10-40 for most conditions, you can try a different grade if you ride in the desert or arctic.

post #4 of 16 Old 10-09-2013, 02:06 AM

Just FYI, today you can get quality synthetic blends or full synthetic oil at a good price from most local auto supply shops. Compared to non-synthetics, synthetics use to be outrageous but today they are reasonable depending on your source.

In the long run you can save a good bit of money providing your own fluids (specially if you use synthetics) if someone else is doing the service.
post #5 of 16 Old 10-09-2013, 09:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_You View Post
Just FYI, today you can get quality synthetic blends or full synthetic oil at a good price from most local auto supply shops. Compared to non-synthetics, synthetics use to be outrageous but today they are reasonable depending on your source.

In the long run you can save a good bit of money providing your own fluids (specially if you use synthetics) if someone else is doing the service.
Just need to make sure there no friction modifier (not good for the clutch). Rotella is one of the only oil available that is suitable for motorcycle. They have 15W40 dino oil (what I use while breaking in the engine) and the blue can is 5W40 full synth.
post #6 of 16 Old 10-09-2013, 01:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marthy View Post
Just need to make sure there no friction modifier (not good for the clutch). Rotella is one of the only oil available that is suitable for motorcycle. They have 15W40 dino oil (what I use while breaking in the engine) and the blue can is 5W40 full synth.
Rotella FTW!
It's why i stick with them, they have all the right stuff, and their products are fairly easy to find.

Ride, eat, sleep...repeat.
post #7 of 16 Old 10-09-2013, 03:04 PM

I have always heard about rotella butnever had the chance to use them. Might have to give them a try. where do you guys get your fluids anyways?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
post #8 of 16 Old 10-09-2013, 04:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slickster View Post
I have always heard about rotella butnever had the chance to use them. Might have to give them a try. where do you guys get your fluids anyways?
Most Auto parts store have it. Look in the heavy duty oil. It's a white and yellow can 15W40 is the dino oil, the blue can is the full syth stuff. All that with a Mobile M1-110.

Oh no... I just did it! LOL
post #9 of 16 Old 10-11-2013, 02:15 PM

Thanks I'm gonna keep my eyes out for it

|
|
post #10 of 16 Old 10-11-2013, 02:21 PM

oil is an eternal debate.

motul seems to be well reviewed on many websites i frequent.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Yamaha FZ-09 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in