Changing the oil in your FZ-09 - Page 2 - Yamaha FZ-09 Forum
 3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
post #11 of 15 Old 01-19-2014, 09:32 PM

185,000km on my 2001 Goldwing. Still using the factory crush washer much to the horror of the "experts" on the Gl1800 riders forum. Some on there seem to think you will crash and burn if you dont change it every time.Mine has never leaked a drop
triplethreat and Holios551 like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 15 Old 07-16-2015, 01:12 PM
nms

I recently changed the oil for the first time in my 2015 FZ09 and FZ07. I followed the instructions in the owners manual carefully for both. I used KN-204 filters. No leaks with the FZ07 but FZ09 leaked around the oil filter o-ring. The manual specified 17 nm of torque. The KN filters have a 17mm nut welded to the end making it easy to use a torque wrench. After re-checking the torque and noticing the leak I tightened it up a bit more. Maybe an 1/8th of a turn. No leaks. But after a short ride I'm noticing a drop forming. Any suggestions? Can't take it to the track if there is oil.
post #13 of 15 Old 07-16-2015, 07:01 PM

Quote:
Any suggestions? Can't take it to the track if there is oil.
In doing probably hundreds of oil changes, never had a filter leak. So...are you sure the old gasket came off when you pulled the old filter? I would probably pull the filter, check both mating surfaces (engine / filter), clean them and they re-install. Hand tighten, and then maybe a one/fifth turn with an oil wrench.

And by the way, having the old gasket still on the bike can be catastrophic. Oil pressure will balloon the gasket out and can cause a fast and significant leak, resulting in both oil pressure failure and/or crash. If you notice, the filter gasket is mainly contained in a recessed area on the filter, and this is to prevent the gasket from deforming. Having the old gasket still in place is a recipe for disaster since its no longer contained within the filter shell. If I had an oil leak, I would check for this...I've come close to not seeing the old gasket still stuck in-place.

Last edited by Spacecoast; 07-16-2015 at 07:13 PM.

post #14 of 15 Old 07-16-2015, 11:27 PM
nms

Gasket is still in the old filter. I'm beginning to be suspicious that one of these filters was damaged slightly by UPS. The delivery box was smashed and the box the filter came in was slightly compressed. Filters themselves looked OK. plastic cover still in tact. But possibly the filter received some of the impact.

I'm not very happy with Revzilla packing this is like the 4th time this year that packages from Revzilla had damaged contents. I need to stop buying from them.
post #15 of 15 Old 07-17-2015, 06:40 PM

I would think that the gasket surface would have to be nicked or damaged for there to be a leak problem. If I had a filter that was seeping oil, I would pull it off and look carefully at the gasket and engine mating surfaces. Clean them well, check for any issues and if nothing found re-install and properly tighten. Also ensure that the sealing area of the new filter is the same size as what you removed. Use the old gasket as a check, and in fact, if you find the new gasket to be at fault (like a nick or flaw) I wouldn't hesitate in re-using the prior gasket that was removed. It's not very old and should be in ok condition. Properly tighten.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Yamaha FZ-09 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in